Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Driving the Parallax Serial LCD — Parallax Forums

Driving the Parallax Serial LCD

JohnBFJohnBF Posts: 107
edited 2007-04-06 23:02 in Propeller 1
I'm trying to drive the Parallax 16X2 Serial LCD using the Serout routines in BS2_FUNCTIONS.· I can get the LCD to display values, characters, and strings very nicely using the DEC, CHAR, and STR versions of BS2.SEROUT, even without initializing the LCD. But I can't figure out how to send commands to control the display. Anyone know how to send commands to clear the display, move the cursor, turn on the backlight, etc?

/John

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2007-04-06 22:06
    John,

The commands are listed in the product documentation and are single byte commands outside of the range of the standard ASCII character set. You can download the documentation from the following link. Take care.

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=27976

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • JohnBFJohnBF Posts: 107
    edited 2007-04-06 22:45
    Chris,

I've got the commands, and when I send data to the LCD from a BS2 everything works fine, so I know there's nothing wrong with the LCD. When I send values, characters, or strings to the LCD from the propeller using the BS2.SEROUT routines in the BS2_Functions object, the LCD displays them, one after another. But when I send commands from the propeller, using the DEC, CHAR, or STR versions of BS2.SEROUT, the LCD does not recognize them. Any thoughts on what to do?

Thanks.

/John
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2007-04-06 23:02
    John,

That’s probably the problem right there. You’re sending the data as a string or representation of a number, but you need to send the binary value without any formatters. I’m not familiar with that object, but there must be a way to send raw binary values without any formatting…Like sending a carriage return. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support