Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
IDE Propeller Tool Font problem — Parallax Forums

IDE Propeller Tool Font problem

DaditaDadita Posts: 3
edited 2007-10-26 07:57 in Propeller 1
Hi!
I'm new to the propeller chip and tried out the Propeller tool yesterday which went ok. Unfortunately, when i started the tool today, i found that the font is displayed in a strange way. The characters seem to flow into another.
see the attached screenshot.

I can't figure out what could have changed from yesterday to today.

Thanks in advance!!!

Dadita
706 x 480 - 37K

Comments

• simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2007-04-04 13:48
    Have you changed your Windows font settings, or any of the IDE's preferences?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon

BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offense at my writing style smile.gif

www.norfolkhelicopterclub.co.uk
    You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again ;-)
    edited 2007-04-04 13:49
    Your screen-shot's also showing a print preview; do you see the same problem in the IDE itself? If not, chances are it's something to do with your printer driver?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon

BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offense at my writing style smile.gif

You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again ;-)
  • DaditaDadita Posts: 3
    edited 2007-04-04 14:22
    Hi simon!
    Thanks for the reply.

I changed nothing as far as i can tell. and i just took the print preview out of laziness (nothing to scale for the screenshot [noparse]:)[/noparse] ), looks the same within the editor. i also tried changing the font size (ctrl + up / dn) --> doesn't help.

Cheers,

Dadita
    edited 2007-04-05 08:22
    Hmmm, might be worth trying to re-install the IDE? I can't re-produce the problem here, so not sure what else to suggest.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon

• KaioKaio Posts: 253
    edited 2007-04-06 09:01
    Dadita,

please go to system control on your windows and open region and speech options. Then on tab languages take button details. Here add scheme for English (USA) and set this as default. Then start the Propeller tool and it should be work properly. After that you can switch back to your prefered scheme.
  • Jeff MartinJeff Martin Posts: 756
    edited 2007-04-06 20:42
    Kaio, thank you for posting that possible solution.

Dadita, please post here the results of this (if it works, doesn't work, etc) and also please tell me what your language settings were set to before you make the change suggested by Kaio.

This issue is one that has baffled me for a while and I haven't been able to solve it or duplicate it with any amount of certainty.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Jeff Martin

· Sr. Software Engineer
    · Parallax, Inc.
  • BongoBongo Posts: 65
    edited 2007-04-09 03:27
    undefined
    edited 2007-04-09 03:28
    oops

I also had this problem on a laptop running a P3.
    Tried the fixes suggested, but did not work so I looked a little closer.
    I found copying and pasting into a text editor (i.e., notepad), the fonts came out as they should.· So clearly the problem is not in any OS settings, it is a rendering problem in the propeller tool.

A closer look at the parallax fonts revealed that 2 sizes, 36 and 48 pixels where problematic, the rest where fine.

In the propeller tool, changing the font size up, and then back down again fixed the rendering of these two sizes, and subsequently there has been no problem.

bongo
  • DaditaDadita Posts: 3
    edited 2007-04-10 12:39
    Hi folks,
    sorry for the late answer, I was not at work this weekend [noparse];)[/noparse]

Unfortunately, I had to give away my Laptop and have a new one now, on which i installed the tool as well. that's why i couldn't try the suggested solutions, sorry.
    Good news is, the tool seems to work fine now with the new machine (apart from the fact that the eva board is not recognized anymore, which i will post in a new thread when i can say more about it).

bad news is that changing the fontsize alone did not work for me (the error was scaled as well).

Thanks a lot so far!!

Dadita
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2007-04-11 19:39
    Since we haven’t been able to reproduce the error I don’t know if this will work, but there is a setting in the display properties which relates to the DPI. It is in the Advanced Settings under the General Tab. The default is 96…But I wonder if changing that value would affect your font?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2007-04-12 03:49
    On an early XP version:
    Looking at the parallax font via control panel/fonts/parallax, the error is still there, and additionally using the problem sizes in a text editor (notepad) reproduces the error, even though the prop tool is now displaying correctly. As a further complication, open office writer sometimes handles the parallax font without the errors. What is also apparent is it is not a problem with the fonts, but the spacing. Multiple characters are displayed in the same space.

On a 64 bit XP, there has not been a problem with the propeller tool, however looking into control panel/fonts, there is no parallax font, and naturally it is also not present for any other text editor, open office writer, or notepad.

Now, as the font is supposed to be available for other editors then I would ask is your PC showing the parallax font under control panel/fonts/parallax? And if so, are the different sizes displaying correctly in the “The quick brown fox................” text?

Changing the system DIP setting had no effect.

Someone who knows much more about this than I, suggests that you may need to be looking at the windows API interface.

Hope this is of some help,

bongo
  • DarakDarak Posts: 1
    edited 2007-04-28 11:19
    Hi!

I have the exact same problem using the tool under a Spanish-language Windows XP machine. So far, the only way I've found to solve the problem is to uninstall the Parallax font from the Windows control panel (while the tool is not running). Changing the regional settings, the zoom inside the tool, or the DIP setting, didn't help.

Looking at the font preview in the control panel, clearly two font sizes are wrong.
    960 x 722 - 124K
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-08-08 13:58
    Yes, it is wrong also on the american English xp system as well. Briefly, don't use point sizes 35 through 48 and 49 point bold.
    1280 x 800 - 38K
  • Jeff MartinJeff Martin Posts: 756
    edited 2007-10-19 17:55
    Hi,

Regarding the font not appearing in Win XP 64-bit Font's folder:
    This actually doesn't have anything to do with Win XP 64-bit.· I'm running Win XP 64-bit as my main system and·the Propeller Tool is able to install the Parallax font into the fonts folder just fine.· The real cause of this is·when the logged-in user doesn't have high enough permissions by the OS to install fonts; if that is the case, the Propeller Tool simply uses a memory-resident image of the font (the font is built into the Propeller Tool itself, so it can use it regardless of whether it is installed or not); the side effect, of course, is that the font is not available to other programs unless someone with higher permissions (like an administrator account) logs into the machine and runs the Propeller Tool at least once.· Then the font should be in the fonts folder and available to all other programs afterwards, regardless of the user permissions.

Regarding font sizes 36 through 48:
    These sizes have always displayed properly in MS Word and Notepad on every system I've tested, though in all cases the font preview drop-down (MS Word), or Font Details view (double-clicking Parallax.ttf file from the fonts folder) shows it as being overlapped.· Has anyone really seen it overlap within the same document at different sizes?· Like in MS Word?

Regarding font overlapping in the Propeller Tool:
    We're still trying to solve this problem, but we've narrowed it down to a system behavior of the OS.· If the regional settings are not English (USA), the OS substitutes another font's kerning (and sometimes another font's glyphs for certain characters) for programs that don't report themselves as Unicode-capable programs to the OS upon startup.
    At the moment, a way to solve this (thought not the best solution, I agree) is to change the default language setting.· In Windows XP, it's Control Panel -> Regional and Language Options -> Advanced tab -> Language for non-Unicode programs... set that to English (USA) or English (United States).· This has a side effect of garbling the characters in some other programs, however.
    Either way, we are trying to solve this problem within the Propeller Tool, but have been unsuccessful as of yet.

Thank you.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Jeff Martin

· Sr. Software Engineer
    · Parallax, Inc.
  • SapiehaSapieha Posts: 2,964
    edited 2007-10-19 19:14
    Hi All.

If you have problem with Fonts try It.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Nothing is impossible, there are only different degrees of difficulty.

Sapieha

Post Edited (Sapieha) : 10/19/2007 8:52:02 PM GMT
    edited 2007-10-19 19:23
    Jeff,
    I see the overlap in Notepad, Wordpad, OpenOffice Writer and MGI Photosuite's text tool. I did notice that some of the overlap looks like it's evaluating the text as a ligature, st for example. When that happens, you have to delete the t before you can get to the s and you can't put a cursor between the characters.

I am wondering if there is a default system character set -- which probably does have the ligatures defined. If that can be changed, then maybe we can find a default that maintains proper letter spacing.

Fred
    edited 2007-10-19 19:28
    Hi Fred.

Change font name in font mapen.
    Copy my font nad change name and try it.

Ps. I am not sure but I think I have localized problem in Tools Font

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Sapieha

Post Edited (Sapieha) : 10/19/2007 7:37:39 PM GMT
    edited 2007-10-19 20:01
    Didn't work for me -- it just showed point sizes on a white page. Your file is 31 Kbytes, installation is 1411 Kbytes.
    edited 2007-10-19 20:05
    Hi Fred.

It funktion in my system

Ps. Sorry Fred it was wrong file.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Sapieha

Post Edited (Sapieha) : 10/20/2007 5:17:58 PM GMT
    883 x 708 - 127K
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2007-10-20 06:26
    I don't know if it's relevant, but with the Parallax font installed on Win98SE it only works for me at text sizes 9, 10 and 72. All other sizes show overlap as described here and worse.
  • JoeAJoeA Posts: 33
    edited 2007-10-20 22:22
    I tried using the font in MS Word (running MS XPpro-sp2 with non-Unicode language set to English US).· I·discoverd that the codepoints in the "Parallax" Word font are Unicode, not the·8-bit codepoints the Properller uses.· (That's probably a good thing, but complicates edititing--see below.)

The divide symbol shown in the PropTool Character Chart seems to be Infinity in the MS Character Map and MS Word.·It also appears the font does not display a Paragraph mark for newline when Formatting Marks is turned on.· The font does seem to be monospace, but with a different character width at a given pitch than say Courier New.

But my main concern is that I want to use the font to darw circuit diagrams.· Copying characters from the Windows Character Map is rather tedious.· Are there any PC editors to draw circuit diagrams using the fort that could be copied into MS Word, etc?· Alternatively, is there a "symbol" version of the font that maps the graphics into the 256 bytecodes for use in ASCII editors like notepad?·

JoeA
  • Reset_VectorReset_Vector Posts: 55
    edited 2007-10-26 07:57
    Hi,
    I have the same problem.
    Resolved by changing the regional font to English(USA) in windows XP configuration menu