Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Sony IR Decoder IC??? — Parallax Forums

Sony IR Decoder IC???

MitchMitch Posts: 16
edited 2007-04-05 05:22 in General Discussion
Anyone...

Something caught my eye in Tom Petruzzellis' book "Stamp 2 Communications and Control Projects". On page 42 under SONY Infared Decoder Chip he mentions the 8-pin SONY IR Decoder.

Does anyone know where I can get one? I'm building a Halloween display that I want to control with a Sony compatible TV remote controller.

It looks like an interesting beast. It converts the 12 bit serial stream (coming fromthe controller) to a straight 8-bit ASCII code then sends it on to a STAMP2 controller. You connect it to a 40MHz IR Detector (Liteon, Radio Shack, etc.).

Thanks,
Mitch

Comments

• SailerManSailerMan Posts: 337
    edited 2007-04-04 16:24
    http://www.rentron.com/remote_control/IR-D15A.htm

This might help..This is a good website.
  • MitchMitch Posts: 16
    edited 2007-04-05 04:00
    Sailerman:

I saw this chip last night. It appears that each button that is supported requires a separate pin on the stamp. The one referenced in the book is an 8-pin package and pin 7 is TX to send the 8-bit code to the STAMP pin.

I guess one other option would be (provided there is and IC to do this) to assemble D0-D14 into a data byte and and then send tthe byte to the STAMP pin...

The SONY chip discussed in the bookseemed too good to be true. I'm trying to find a way to get ahold of Tom to ask him for a source.

Thanks,
    Mitch
  • kelvin jameskelvin james Posts: 531
    edited 2007-04-05 05:22
    Looks like the decoder chip was a self-programmed pic, possibly sold at one time. Have a boo at this website, should be possible to duplicate.

home.earthlink.net/~henryarnold/