Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
2.5" LCD A/V Display Question — Parallax Forums

2.5" LCD A/V Display Question

Shane De CataniaShane De Catania Posts: 67
edited 2007-04-04 05:36 in Propeller 1
Hi All,
This question is directed at anyone who has a Parallax 2.5" LCD A/V Display -
What is the picture quality generally (sharp and bright)?
What is the picture quality like under well lit fluorescent lighting conditions?
Is the display viewable in full sunlight?
What is the actual resolution of the display - and does it display all lines from a PAL signal?
Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Shane.

Comments

• SkogsgurraSkogsgurra Posts: 231
    edited 2007-04-03 21:41
    Hi,

I just got two of those 2.5" "Doll House TVs"

Work quite well. Havent been able to test in sunlight (night). Good sharpness (what else with a 2.5" diagonal?) and contrast and brightness controls fully operational. Even a little sound output for beeps - but no Beethoven.

The Prop demo (with the eight sprites) doesn't cover the whole screen. But that is probably a result of the coding more than a problem with the display. Will check that forther tomorrow.

I am running them off 6 V DC, which is lower than the 9 - 12 V range specified. At that low voltage, the readability is good even just under (3 - 5 cm or 1 - 2 inches from) flourescent tube. I guess that they are more up to the specs if you use 9 - 12 V.
  • rokickirokicki Posts: 1,000
    edited 2007-04-03 21:46
    The one I have is good, easily legible in TV-Text and the like. It's not nearly as sharp as a quality video
    monitor (Andre was demoing today at the Embedded Systems Conference and his displays there were
    amazingly sharp, really, razor sharp).

I've switched to using a surplus "gameboy" external LCD screen (I think mine is 7") and it's a huge step
    up from that little 2.5" screen. But the 2.5" one Parallax sells does a reasonable job.

They had a really cool demo of the prop running a very nice VGA screen with a ton of animated things
    as well as driving a TV at the same time, at the ESC today.
  • Tech-ManTech-Man Posts: 100
    edited 2007-04-03 22:06
    I have never had on of them from Parallax, but i do see that it cost $79.95 + $8.95 if you want the power supply and its only 2.5''. But i found a cool site that has a few difrent choces one is a 2.5" color LCD with power suply for well just take a look for yourself they also have alot of other really cool things. http://www.superdroidrobots.com/shop/category.asp?catid=40

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    There are no Undo buttons in life.
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2007-04-03 22:16
    Ebay is a good source too.

The 2.5" screen is good for what it is and makes a handy sized display for small projects. I've also stripped out screens from in car DVD systems and that gave me two 7.5" screens each for the price of a 2.5" screen.

Graham
  • Spork FrogSpork Frog Posts: 212
    edited 2007-04-03 23:37
    There´s still a few of those clip-on Gamecube screens floating about if you need something bigger (they're like 5.2"). They take video input as well. MPJA at least used to still carry these; most places are selling out fast.

But I can see where a smaller screen would be better.
  • SkogsgurraSkogsgurra Posts: 231
    edited 2007-04-04 05:36
    Yes, can read it in the (morning) sunshine!