Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propellers, 30+ fps, and overlays: can it be done? — Parallax Forums

Propellers, 30+ fps, and overlays: can it be done?

Jesse CusterJesse Custer Posts: 1
edited 2007-04-01 21:05 in Propeller 1
I'm researching right now to find out what chip is going to be best to base my project around.· I'm interested in the Propeller because of the multiple cogs, but don't really know that much about it yet.

What I need to do is this:

1.· take in full motion video from a camera, and control digital and optical zoom, etc., on that camera.· Ideally, 3 megapixel or higher camera, although the on-device display doesn't need to be very high-res - maybe 160x160 or 320x320.
2.· take readings from several sensors, and perform calculations based on them.
3.· Display the video, with appropriate information overlays (both text and sprites) on the screen
4.· Export video and/or .JPG stills to an SD card at full camera resolution.

Does a propeller have enough horsepower for this?

·

Comments

• Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2007-04-01 21:05
    No it doesn't. There is just too much data comming from a 3Mpixel camera.

I've been looking at doing some similar stuff and came to the conclusion that I would need to use a CPLD along with the propeller and some external ram, the propeller oversees and provides easy interface development.

I'm taken by the coolrunner CPLDs by Xilinx, the new starter kit is only $50 and there are application notes relating to camera and memory interfacing. I've had my kit for a few days, its very neat though I have not used it in anger yet. All software tools for it are free too

Graham