Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Back on the saddle again, but the pc_debug is baffling a bit ... — Parallax Forums

Back on the saddle again, but the pc_debug is baffling a bit ...

psavolaipsavolai Posts: 21
edited 2007-04-01 18:36 in Propeller 1
Hi all,

been doing some other stuff for a while, but now I have some time for propeller gain.
Bad news is that I pretty much have to start from zero again...

Debugging
Reading the posts I understand that other people are able to use the PC_debug object to send string to hyperteminal.
Sadly I am not.
Is it the 3-transistor circuit that i'm using or something else ?

Are there any persons using the 3-transistor SerialToPropeller and debugging happily ?

Would someone who is debugging succesfully with pc_debug explain his/hers setup ?

thanks,

Petri Savolainen

Comments

• psavolaipsavolai Posts: 21
    edited 2007-04-01 17:53
    OK , I get it.

When I was doing the Propeller-dance the first time around, parallax was out of prop-sticks and plugs,
    so I had to build the 3-transistor programming-kludge.

Now reading the description on webshop about prop-plug:
    "The Prop Plug and Prop Clip each provide a USB-to-serial port connection that is convenient for microcontroller programming and communication."

Judging from that it's quite clear that if you want the pc_debug object to work the
    right setup to have is a prop-plug.

So I'll order one pronto.

... correct me If I'm wrong though.

cheers,

Petri
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-04-01 18:36
    Petri,
    The 3-transistor circuit does work, but it can be tempermental about the type of serial port used with it. Some laptops provide a limited voltage swing that isn't really RS-232. With a PropPlug/PropClip or USB2SER (different pin connections, but functionally the same), you won't have that issue and it'll work with a USB port.