Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Newbie Hi — Parallax Forums

Newbie Hi

BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
edited 2007-04-02 20:03 in Propeller 1
Hi all,
Just thought I'd say hi, I have a demo board on order + bits and I must say, I can't wait, from what you guys have done already, this processor is a little gem of a thing.
I'm really looking forward to having a good ol' play with it, to see what it can do.
I was making a fruit machine·with·TV out on a PIC microchip through Scart ( for colour as they're too slow for doing colour burst ) for my kids·to play.
But was getting poor sound in the 4us ( and not many clock cycles as most·were·used loading and saving pointers ) I had during HBlank to get·a decent·sample.
I therefore wanted something with a little more gusto, so I started looking at SX's, but they didn't have enough rom space for samples or the big images for the reels, nor the wavs.
Then in my searching looking at·SX's I found a little processor called the propeller, and what can I say, Chip Gracey, but WOW, you've made a gem of a chip there.
And the rest of you guys have done some awsome apps for it, from different VGA res's and TV out's to Voice and OS's and SD read and writes to add more space [noparse]:)[/noparse]
I wish you all the best of luck with it, as it deserves some praise...
And I can't wait to get my hands on it.
·

Comments

• QuattroRS4QuattroRS4 Posts: 916
    edited 2007-03-29 14:31
    Welcome ...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Necessity is the mother of invention'
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2007-03-29 15:03
    Thanks.
    Just out of curiosity, are there any UKers on here that know how long it takes for stuff to get here through customs etc?
    I wanna play.... [noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • parskoparsko Posts: 501
    edited 2007-03-29 15:06
    Baggers,

I have bought before, and just placed an order today, with Antratek (www.antratek.nl) in the Netherlands. I think they ship to England too. It might help avoid the "cross the pond" issues.

-Parsko
    edited 2007-03-29 15:21
    Parsko

Looked at antrakek.nl couldn't understand a word of it, and in producten and clicking on propeller, there was no option to buy [noparse]:([/noparse]

I suppose it's a tad too late now anyway, cos I already ordered from parallax [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Guess I'll have to read and twiddle my thumbs for the next couple of weeks. lol

Baggers.
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2007-03-29 15:39
    Its pretty quick when they have it all in stock.

Graham
    edited 2007-03-29 15:56
    There's hope for me yet then, I won't be a quivering wreck in a corner somewhere muttering about propellers [noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • Jeff MartinJeff Martin Posts: 755
    edited 2007-03-29 16:00
    Hi,

We have many distributors around the world.· For the Propeller launch last year, we met with our distributors from about 20+ countries and personally taught them all about it.· I believe most, if not all, are distributing the Propeller products in their areas.· Below is the link to our list of distributors in Europe.· I also included some contact information for one of them that has been with us for many, many years.

http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/company/distributors/dist_europe.asp

Milford Instruments
    Leeds
    Phone: int + 44 1 977 683 665·
    Fax: int + 44 1 977 681 465
    Web: http://www.milinst.com
    Email: sales@milinst.com

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Jeff Martin

· Sr. Software Engineer
    · Parallax, Inc.
  • HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2007-03-29 16:17
    Jeff Martin said...
    Hi,

We have many distributors around the world.· For the Propeller launch last year, we met with our distributors from about 20+ countries and personally taught them all about it.· I believe most, if not all, are distributing the Propeller products in their areas.· Below is the link to our list of distributors in Europe.· I also included some contact information for one of them that has been with us for many, many years.

http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/company/distributors/dist_europe.asp
    I'm impressed! Just didn't know Parallax was in so many European+ countries. Super. I keep finding more and more about how good Parallax is. Thanks, Jeff, for opening my eyes wider.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    h.a.s. designn
  • QuattroRS4QuattroRS4 Posts: 916
    edited 2007-03-29 16:20
    Farnell carry some parallax stuff as well .....

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Necessity is the mother of invention'
    edited 2007-03-29 16:27
    I guess it's too late to cancel the order and get it from millinst or farnell instead ? [noparse]:D[/noparse]
    Don't worry, I'll be patient this time... lol.
  • Jeff MartinJeff Martin Posts: 755
    edited 2007-03-29 16:33
    Harley said...

I'm impressed! Just didn't know Parallax was in so many European+ countries. Super. I keep finding more and more about how good Parallax is. Thanks, Jeff, for opening my eyes wider.
    My, or rather "our", pleasure. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Jeff Martin

· Sr. Software Engineer
    · Parallax, Inc.
  • Shane De CataniaShane De Catania Posts: 67
    edited 2007-03-30 14:03
    Hi All,
    I ordered my Propeller Dev kit from Digi-Key in the US (I'm in Australia)... It took only 4 days to arrive! Good service and price.
    And while I have your attention I'd like to take this opportunity also to make a complaint about Parallax and their Propeller processor - I have had the kit for a week now and have done absolutely NO WORK ALL WEEK, since I have been so busy playing with the Propeller Dev kit and the huge array of code available on this site. Its now 10:00pm on Friday night and I'm still hanging around on this forum! Seriously, this processor is a breath of fresh air and it takes the humble micro-controller chip to a whole new level. I can't wait to see where it will lead!
    Cheers,
    Shane.
  • simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2007-03-30 14:24
    Hey Shane: at least you're already awake for the next feed!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon

BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offense at my writing style smile.gif

www.norfolkhelicopterclub.co.uk
    You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again ;-)
    edited 2007-03-30 15:09
    Hi Shane,
    Yeah that's my fears too, I'm guessing I'll be so wrapped up in the fun, I'll not do any work [noparse]:D[/noparse]
    My order has been shipped, so it's now out of parallax's hands, and in the hands of UPS, and probably customs for however long it takes them, lets hope they don't open it, and want to join in all the coding pleasures that.

Wow, as I was typing this, I just got a phone call from UPS, it's cleared customs, and will be arriving at my door on Monday [noparse]:)[/noparse] how happy am I. and how fast was that, I only ordered on Wednesday night [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Thanks Parallax, and UPS, for outstanding service.

I'm not going to be able to sleep now til Monday with anticipation, then I won't be able to sleep full stop lol.
  • simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2007-03-30 15:19
    Baggers: you're darn lucky. Last year I ordered some parts from Sparkfun; waited two weeks coz good ol' Royal Mail mucked-up in their London depot [noparse]:([/noparse]

BTW: I never get any work done anyway!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon

BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offense at my writing style smile.gif

www.norfolkhelicopterclub.co.uk
    You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again ;-)
    edited 2007-03-30 16:45
    Hi Simon,

I guess you could say I have some lucky breaks [noparse]:)[/noparse] it's about time I say lol

But I do hate the way work gets in the way of decent creative fun [noparse]:)[/noparse]

As for depots A work mate of mine based in cornwall had to wait a month once for something from the London office, they sent it with DHL who took it to Birmingham depot, then tried to deliver to him time after time, but the driver kept getting close,
    but then was time for him to finish work, so he kept driving it back to Birmingham, and it took a whole month before he got the kit. [noparse]:([/noparse] I however had been playing with mine for that month, they were both sent at the same time, through DHL.

Cheers,
    Baggers.
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-03-30 21:52
    Simon and Baggers,

There is a price to be paid for civilization. The British postal service seems to be extracting that price-- up front. Very efficient, very British.

On our side of the pond we blame the aliens... for everything, if and whenever possible.

Look on the positive side... as in the game of golf... maybe your Government is just trying to make this an even contest. There is no country with more educated, more creative or more industrius people. So, if the rest of the world is going to keep up.... you guys might need to slow down... occasionally.

DHL delivers well everywhere but in Europe... thank God there is still an England!!!

Rich

By the way, could you please ask the Queen to change the monetary system... it was ok when Newton invented it... but it isn't working very well now... and I don't think we would want our Federal Reserve to step into the breach[noparse]:)[/noparse]
    edited 2007-03-31 07:51
    rjo_

Very true rofl [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Oh, and next time I'm invited to the Queen for tea and scones, I'll sure tell her to get her cash system sorted [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Baggers.
    edited 2007-03-31 21:41
    Baggers,

While we are on the subject of Royal Institutions, possibly we could compare and contrast with the Francophiles?

How goes it in France?

Any DHL victims here who speaks French as a primary language?

Rich
  • SkogsgurraSkogsgurra Posts: 231
    edited 2007-03-31 22:10
    You guys are lucky. We got Schenker. Can't understand how they can still be in business. Have been seen taking private car to their depot on Friday afternoons in cities 50 or 80 km from where I live. 'Cause they didn't feel like delivering that week. I once got so mad at them that I told them to send a Taxi with the goods I had been waiting for a whole week. They actually did!
    edited 2007-04-01 07:45
    unlucky Skogsgurra, yes it is strange how these companies stay in business, or how they choose to be a s41t with some parcels and not others.
    I guess it's down to the individual drivers.
    edited 2007-04-02 05:51
    Baggers,

I can tell you how they stay in business...

What is a s41t?

Rich
  • SkogsgurraSkogsgurra Posts: 231
    edited 2007-04-02 06:30
    To me (Swedish terminal) it looks like c-r-a-p, but other spelling...
    edited 2007-04-02 06:33
    Intelligence oozes from the streets of Scandinavia!!!!
    edited 2007-04-02 06:42
    To be Swedish is to be too close to some... and not far from enough from others. That is one of the beauties of England... it is an island.

Put Sweden on an island... no problems, except the mail (of course[noparse]:)[/noparse].
    edited 2007-04-02 06:58
    Skogsgurra,

I have a plan... to get Baggers tea with the Queen. The first step is winning a Nobel Prize...
    Would you like to hear It?

Rich
    edited 2007-04-02 07:58
    Hi rjo_

s41t is a less rude way of saying sh!t, but I was being polite, and also didn't want to be banned from the forum if they had a profanity blocker on [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Also my stuff is due to arrive any time today, I would like to still be able to view and post on these forums lol, that would be a major downer if I was now blocked...
    edited 2007-04-02 07:59
    Sure I'd like to hear it rjo_, now how do I get the Nobel Prize? lol
    edited 2007-04-02 09:46
    Baggers...

Don't get too excited , first you have to give me the exact etymology of that term. I got the general idea from the context of the message...This won't win you a Nobel prize, but if you can explain it just a little more in a polite way we at least know that you belong in Nobel territory... for instance what does the "41" in the middle stand for?

Second... I'm playing a hunch here. And I might be wrong on my first hunch...you never know. So, if I'm wrong on my first hunch I want you to have enough confidence in me to persevere with my next suggestion.

I'm a little tired so tonight I will only introduce the general logic of how to get yourself invited to tea with Her Majesty... which is the reason that I want you to get a Nobel Prize.

It starts like this... some of the most famous scientists of all time... were actually middle men for the intellectual elite. No one ever admits it... but if you study the histories carefully enough you can convince yourself that this is a true statement... though impossible to prove for any particular guy.

I will give you two examples... there was a guy, whose name you know, who started out as a patent clerk and ended up unable to figure out what was wrong with our torpedo designs in WWII... he was a middle man... mostly between East coast physicists and the White House. He didn't win his Nobel for his work on torpedo designs. He won it for a theory that doesn't make any sense at all!!!

And since you are British... you will know doubt either know of or be able to easily ascertain that one of England's greatest scientists... the one that started out as a street urchin and ended up as the poster boy for egalitarian logic... was probably a middle man.

If you accept that premise... then we are in good shape and I will continue tomorrow. If not... let me know and we can correspond privately on the matter.

AND yes... this does involve the Propeller... tangentially.

Rich
    edited 2007-04-02 09:53
    I suspect that it is a word that if written with segmented letters would be missing a segment from one letter and a numeric substitution for another... if that is all... we can drop it... I was hoping for something more parochial.