Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Running PIC code on a SX — Parallax Forums

Running PIC code on a SX

PunMasterPunMaster Posts: 11
edited 2007-04-02 22:21 in General Discussion
I have a .HEX file containing code made for a PIC16F84. I don't have the original source code, just the .HEX file. Is there any way for me to get this code to run on an SX device (such as the SX18). I am using the SX-Key programming tool. Thank you.

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2007-03-29 05:23
    You should be able to find a freeware disassembler somewhere on the web that will convert your object code back into source format. You may need to tweak it, in case there are some PIC16F84-specific things that need to be massaged to fit the SX (which, if I remember correctly, is upwards compatible with the PIC16C56).

-Phil
  • PunMasterPunMaster Posts: 11
    edited 2007-03-29 19:26
    I have managed to disassemble the code into something that recompiles for the PIC16F84. When I try to compile it for the PIC16C56, I get a bunch of errors. Attached is the assembly source code.
    edited 2007-04-01 17:34
    Nobody has said anything in a while so I thought I might as well give some more info about what I'm actually doing. Although I already have an SX-Key, I came across designs for an SX programmer based on the PIC that would allow me to build a 5$ programmer for a friend who wants to give the SX a try. Still, I don't have any PICs or a programmer for them so I was hoping to find a way to get the PIC code to work on a SX. Here's the link to the programmer designs: http://www.semis.demon.co.uk/Sx/SXmain.htm
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2007-04-01 20:44
    The Fluffy and Fluffy2 programmer designs have been around awhile. The main disadvantage to using these is they won't work with the Parallax SX IDE or SX/B.
    edited 2007-04-02 03:02
    Couldn't you just save the sx hex file from sx/b and then download it to the programmer? Another use for this could be in-system "firmware upgrade" right? So how hard would it be to port that code?
  • T'SaavikT'Saavik Posts: 60
    edited 2007-04-02 03:25
    I have a fluffy, and i have some info on how to use it with the sx/b key software here www.hellspark.com/dm/ebench/sx/howto.html

That said, i've since then bought a sx-key. The in system debugging is just too good a thing not to have.
    edited 2007-04-02 22:21
    Cool. That's what I thought. What about that code? Anybody tried to use a sx in a fluffy before or know how I can port that code without going crazy? [noparse]:)[/noparse]