Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Options for networking — Parallax Forums

Options for networking

T ChapT Chap Posts: 4,223
edited 2007-03-27 04:55 in Propeller 1
Excluding wireless and X10, what are options for networking multiple boards that are all Propeller based? I need to build a working prototype of a minimum of 6 PCBs spread throughout an office building, that all are networked to a single computer. Internet access to each slave is the ultimate goal. The OSX or PC app has to be able to communicate bi-directionally with each slave board, there is some transfer of data, some reading of sensors, very light throughput. At the moment I just see the hub polling the slaves for status updates, and the slave signaling the hub on an alarm. There is some remote control of the remotes, just simple commands to do a few functions.

I could build a dedicated Propeller board just for the hub, all it would do is talk to the individual boards and to the GUI. The Prop hub to the GUI would be as simple as USB to serial. The question is how to best get from the hub to the slaves. Average cable lengths would be <300ft. Any suggestions from you guys would be appreciated.

The boards currently have 2 free pins. The boards use Ft232RL USB to serial UART for programming, although I don't suspect that length of cable for USB is workable.

Post Edited (TChapman) : 3/26/2007 5:24:37 AM GMT

Comments

• crgwbrcrgwbr Posts: 614
    edited 2007-03-26 11:54
    You could use a PINK module for each board, then just tap them into your current [noparse][[/noparse]Ethernet] network. Then, just by typing in the IP address of each device, you could access them from any computer on the network using only a web browser.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    NerdMaster
    For
    Life
  • simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2007-03-26 12:29
    ...could also use a Digi ConnectME plug-in Ethernet module that talks to the Prop via UART.

...or this http://microcontrollershop.com/product_info.php?products_id=1448·at $59

Do a search for Serial-to-Ethernet, there are a few options [noparse];)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon

BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offense at my writing style smile.gif

www.norfolkhelicopterclub.co.uk
    You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again ;-)

Post Edited (simonl) : 3/26/2007 12:33:43 PM GMT
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2007-03-26 16:16
    Check out the networking port on the Hydra - up to 300 feet and a maximum of 1 Mbps over 4 conductor phone cable http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=639114
  • Brian CarpenterBrian Carpenter Posts: 728
    edited 2007-03-26 18:40
    I am currently using the Digi Connect Me devices and they are great for exactly what you are talking about.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

It's Only A Stupid Question If You Have Not Googled It First!!
  • T ChapT Chap Posts: 4,223
    edited 2007-03-26 18:48
    Thanks for the great advice fellows. I am assuming that the Digi Connect/Pink etc, all would connect with Cat5 cables to a router>computer? Then, the GUI just has to access the router by HTTP protocol. I'd like to keep the communication very simple, probably based on a Realbasic application. The serial commands are straightforward that I already use for USBtoserial, changing over to using HTTP will require some work I am sure, but the concept is the same, I want to send "serial" strings back and forth to the Propeller, where there may be up to 10 Prop boards in the building to control and monitor.

The Digi part looks interesting, probably get one to test.

** Would a "Digi Connect Me" module, on either end of a cable, allow for serial to serial com with the ethernet simply acting as another form of RS232? This way, I can use USB on the master, and keep using the same serial protocol with minimal changes in the GUI The only difference would be, the GUI would have to talk to two things, serial and internet, in cases where internet access was required.

Post Edited (TChapman) : 3/27/2007 1:50:16 AM GMT
  • Ken PetersonKen Peterson Posts: 806
    edited 2007-03-26 19:48
    You could try RS422 or RS485.· Interface chips are available cheap.
  • lnielsenlnielsen Posts: 72
    edited 2007-03-26 20:11
    I would stick with RS485. Someone already has a 1 Mbps TTL based Bioloid object working with Propeller support as either the master or the slave. Because of your distance I would check out the "DX" version of Robotis: www.tribotix.info/Downloads/Robotis/Dynamixels/DX%20series(english).pdf They have a half-duplex block mode protocol already defined that several of us are porting to the Propeller.
  • ColeyColey Posts: 1,110
    edited 2007-03-26 22:09
    TChapman said...
    ** Would a Digi Connect on each end allow for serial to serial com, with the ethernet simply acting as another form of RS232? This way, I can use USB on the master, and keep using the same serial protocol with minimal changes in protocol. The only difference would be the GUI would have to talk to two things, serial and internety, in casese where interne access was required.

Another serial device server is the Tibbo DS202 www.tibbo.com/ds202.php

You can set up virtual comports on the host pc or set them up to be a virtual serial cable over ethernet (with 2 devices).

They are configurable too in a form of basic so you can make them do whatever you want.

I have used loads of these little babies as virtual com ports and so far they haven't let me down.

Price is good too!!

Regards,

Coley

Post Edited (Coley) : 3/26/2007 10:20:02 PM GMT
    edited 2007-03-26 23:43
    Yes, The Digi can do Serial Tunneling And connect one serial device to another. it also cones with software that can run on your PC and act as a terminal server for all the devices.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• QuattroRS4QuattroRS4 Posts: 916
    edited 2007-03-27 01:17
    TC,
    Check out these links

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=622242
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=621862
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=627949

Not sure how things are progressing now though. This combined with a serial object (e.g. Extended_FDSerial.spin) from the object exchange could be the start of a nice project for you. And then maybe we could all benefit from it !

or you could go the route of third party ethernet to serial devices ...

www.perle.com/products/serial-ethernet.shtml?source=google&group=WorldServers&campaign=serialethernet&gclid=CJKp14_jk4sCFQ0WEAodeT3NRA

or these from MOXA - they have embedded ethernet controllers with RS-232,RS-485,RS-422 and TTL options

www.moxa.com/product/Serial_to_Ethernet_Products.htm

Rgds,
    Quattro

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Necessity is the mother of invention'

Post Edited (QuattroRS4) : 3/27/2007 1:42:13 AM GMT
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2007-03-27 02:03
    RS-485 sounds like the right choice for this as you can run a single twisted pair in multidrop fashion to all the nodes. If you do it right you can also power the nodes over the same cable.

If it makes your job a bit easier I have a unit that is suitable to act as a hub and electrically isolates the PC/USB from any nasties on the cable.
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=636139

The only problem I can see is how are you going to program the nodes over the network? You could run RS-422 full-duplex with an enable on the node transmitters but you would still need a method for selecting a node for programming. This could be accomplished with a $1 PIC programmed to monitor the receive line for a unique string and then reset the node for programming etc.

Better still I think is just include firmware update code and serial number into the node when it is first manufactured and programmed individually. You could stuff it up with a bad update but that should be manageable. The new code would be placed into another section of the EEPROM and your bootloader (doesn't change) would check the integrity of the code and allow an override from the network.

Wouldn't the nodes be accessed from the internet via the PC anyway? They shouldn't need any web connectivity themselves, surely?

*Peter*
    edited 2007-03-27 02:31
    wiki said...

The recommended arrangement of the wires is as a connected series of point-to-point (multidropped) nodes, a line or bus, not a star, ring, or multiply-connected network. Ideally, the two ends of the cable will have a termination resistor connected across the two wires. ....... The master device would provide termination if it itself was located at a physical end of the wires, but that is often a bad design as the master would be better located at a halfway point between the slave devices

The idea of a single twisted pair is not doable if it requires true point to point wiring, it would be a logistical headache to wire a building where the pair had a start and an end at two points(no backtracking of wires), unless there was a hub that only looked like a star, where it was a true single twisted pair routed to and from each node.. This means lots of dual runs of wire, which is doable under the length requirements:

RS485 claimed range: 100 kbit/s at 1200 meters --more than enough speed and distance.

The only thing that needs web connectivity is the master terminal. The terminal simply monitors and controls the nodes, and inernet access is for rare cases of remote control and monitoring, via the terminal.

The best option for the nodes is embeded design, a 485 chipset, or, serial to ethernet mini-module i.e Digi Connect Me. The hub is up in the air. I could easily see that being a Propeller that looks at ~14 sets of Txd/Rxd lines off of whatever the method is. On the terminal, P30/31 just talk to the PC/MAC via USB2serial, no need for learning and hassling over http.

RS485 seems best(rather, simplest/cheapest/least curve), if the wire runs can tolerate a physical star, even though not electrically so.

"Programming the nodes" A lot of thought into that already. No solid answer yet. Individually is not a favorable solution!

With 2 EEPROMs on board, think you just download a new program to the 2nd, check it for errors, transfer EEPROM2 to EEPROM 1, check it for errors and reboot.

Post Edited (TChapman) : 3/27/2007 3:03:06 AM GMT
    edited 2007-03-27 02:52
    Another nice thing about the Digi Connect ME is that there is also a wireless module that is a direct pin for pin drop in. Now you are running wireless. no wires to tie you down. But while going the wired route..... it also does Power over Ethernet. No wall warts. Very handy.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-03-27 03:08
    I'm intrigued by the idea of using LEDs and fiber optics, with the 6 slaves talking to a master Prop, which would talk to your PC.

Tracey Allen has a nice discussion and demo with a simple circuit in the Spin Code Examples: forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=25&m=113109&p=1

Johnnyairplane cited: www.merl.com/reports/docs/TR2003-35.pdf, which is worth a look and posted some nice spin code examples in the forum "LED Input Devices"

Rich
    edited 2007-03-27 03:17
    I have tessted fiber for the project, and yes it is a nice option too. I even tested using a single strand for full duplex, put a splitter at each end (Y fiber cable), put an LED and detector on one end of the system,and another set on the other end. The light just blows past each other, and there is enough separation to be used as Full Dup . 20% light does return from the LED on each side, not enough to trip the detector. Very high speeds possible too.

Here is what I have been looking at:

www.i-fiberoptics.com/leds/IFOled.htm

Post Edited (TChapman) : 3/27/2007 5:00:48 AM GMT
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-03-27 04:55
    Thank you very much[noparse]:)[/noparse]

Rich