Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Linux Propeller Tool - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Linux Propeller Tool

2»

Comments

• Luis DigitalLuis Digital Posts: 371
    edited 2007-04-23 19:36
    Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) said...
    I might take issue with, "I think a self-hosting prop is more important than Linux tools." A self-hosting Prop will scratch an itch among those nostalgic for the 8-bit computers of the '80's. But the effort to produce such an animal likely won't be rewarded with volume chip sales. For that, you need good cross-development tools, which the current IDE is an example of.

Until Microsoft came out with Vista, I would have said Linux tools would be nice but not essential. But if XP should disappear from the map entirely, there will be a lot of folks who refuse Vista's bloat and control and who will be taking long — and longing — looks at Linux and OS/X.

It's too bad Borland abandoned their Kylix project. It would have permitted a straight-across port from Windows/Delphi to Linux.

-Phil
    By that reason exists Delphi clone Lazarus.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2007-04-23 20:17
    Luis,

Interesting. Mi Espa
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-04-23 20:33
    Phil,
    The Free Pascal compiler that this IDE uses is quite stable, has been out for years, and is pretty good as far as I can tell. I haven't used the IDE, but any IDE that can run a compile line compiler/linker should work fine. It runs under Mac OS's Xcode for example.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2007-04-23 21:24
    Mike,

That's good to know. The biggest concern, then, would be how much reliance has been placed on OCX objects and the like in the current IDE. Plus, the serial I/O is going to be a special case, unless some universal wrapper is used. And, of course, once it's ported, it has to be supported.

But this is all idle speculation if Parallax lacks the desire, the resources, or the incentive to make it a priority. And, as long as XP is available, there's probably little reason to.

-Phil
  • Luis DigitalLuis Digital Posts: 371
    edited 2007-04-24 14:07
    Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) said...
    Mike,

That's good to know. The biggest concern, then, would be how much reliance has been placed on OCX objects and the like in the current IDE. Plus, the serial I/O is going to be a special case, unless some universal wrapper is used. And, of course, once it's ported, it has to be supported.

But this is all idle speculation if Parallax lacks the desire, the resources, or the incentive to make it a priority. And, as long as XP is available, there's probably little reason to.

-Phil

This it is an example. I am implementing the version for Windows of this unit (Serial) and functions very well.
    Serial I/O:

uses serial;

var
      Buffer: array [noparse][[/noparse]0..1] of Byte;
      SerHandle: TSerialHandle;

Begin
     SerHandle := SerOpen('/dev/ttyUSB0'); // Open USB Port (in Windows use COMx)
     SerSetParams(SerHandle, 9600, 8, NoneParity, 1, [noparse][[/noparse]]); // 9600 Bps, 8 Bits, None Parity, 1 Stop Bit
     Buffer[noparse][[/noparse]0] := 49;
     Buffer := 50;
     SerWrite(SerHandle, Buffer[noparse][[/noparse]0], 2); // Write 2 bytes to USB port
     SerClose(SerHandle); // Close Port
    End.

Very easy and platform independent.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2007-04-25 09:43
    Much as I dislike Microsoft's market share data, it is the competative environment. Earlier this year, I was about to switch to Linux; but for me, it would be best if I have one of each computers as I have accumulated years of Windows files.

I do admit that I am not fully aware of all the regions that the Propeller might be breaking new ground in. And I truly hope that it will set the world on fire and launch Parallax into the 'big time' as it is quite unique.

If that comes to pass, I am sure Parallax will have a Linux version of Spin because the company either has to pay huge corproate income taxes or reinvest profits into futher development. Rather than pay a 29% tax to Uncle Sam, you will get Linux based Spin.

Nonetheless, the whole equation is based on past sales performance rather than speculation on future sales. So please be patient as Parallax has to survive.

In the interim, I am sure that Parallax will happily enter into a confidential relationship to aid and provide techincal support to anyone that has a genuine potential to develop a volume market.· From what I understand, they have done this before with BasicStamps.· You just don't see that here.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Post Edited (Kramer) : 4/25/2007 9:50:33 AM GMT