Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller's Daughter — Parallax Forums

Propeller's Daughter

rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
edited 2007-03-23 09:51 in Propeller 1
Hi guys,

I was wondering if it would make sense for the experienced guys to get together and come up with a standarized form factor for a daughter card...

What inspires this question is the following:

1. I think I've said it before... but I'm a retired eye doctor and I used to keep track of all the ways people found to blind themselves. Soldering irons wasn't one of them, and I don't want to be the first.

2. Everytime I see a neat circuit on this forum together with an historic little spin program... I want it immediately, but I don't want to hurt myself.

I think there could be a cottage industry for the right chip minded group of co-conspirators.

What do you say?

Rich

Comments

• JamesxJamesx Posts: 132
    edited 2007-03-22 15:17
    rjo_

Nothing against daughterboards, but soldering irons aren't that bad. I kind of enjoy using them, actually. As a doc, I've also seen lots of (dumb) ways to break, burn, crush and slice one's self. But besides occasionally picking up the wrong end of the iron, it's pretty hard to hurt yourself with one.

Jim C
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-03-22 15:20
    Two suggestions:

1) Get a solderless breadboard ... like the one used in the Propeller Education Kit. With few exceptions (like the Propeller A/D conversion bit) it works fine. Parallax sells them separately, even sells precut and stripped wires.

2) Make up a soldering station with ventilation if you want and use goggles or safety glasses

It's really hard to come up with anything standardized when the uses are so varied.
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2007-03-22 16:43
    1) Be a man [noparse]:)[/noparse] I assume you use a knife and fork yet probably tend not to stick them in your face. When not in use the iron is in its holder, when in use you are concentrating on it. Most accidents happen when people don't have a stand. I've been soldering since I was 5 and have only ever slightly burnt a finger tip.

2) Do as Mike says, you can even (with a little soldering) make one of these.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=621981

Graham
  • Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2007-03-22 16:59
    Since we are gving tips and hints... when doing small work, I have a habit of using my teeth to hold things, such as the screw driver or wire snips I'm not using at the moment... And while I've caught myself a few times bring the iron toward 'auxillary hand', I've always caught myself before I caused damage to anything [noparse]:)[/noparse] Just a point that some work habits need to be adjusted when working with hot or rotating hand tools!

-Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    StampPlot - GUI and Plotting, and XBee Wireless Adapters
    Southern Illinois University Carbondale, Electronic Systems Technologies
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-03-23 01:43
    Many thanks to everyone,

Martin-- thanks for mentioning work habits. It is ALL a matter of routine... but you have to do enough to make it a routine. After not playing with my dremel for a while... I found myself putting it down, without turning it off, while my attention was focused on the piece I was working.

Graham said "Be a man[noparse]:)[/noparse]" I'm too old... and one divorce was enough[noparse]:)[/noparse]

On the serious side... what I really want is a Propeller on one board and just about everything else talking to it across an adapter that doesn't fail too often AND handles noise like a deaf mute at a PETA convention. I have a growing list of reasons why I think this is a good idea.

Rich
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-03-23 02:28
    You could achieve best of both worlds and build yourself a poormans' demoboard.

A current pic of mine is attached..

Oldbit
    408 x 308 - 28K
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-03-23 03:34
    Oldbit,

My problem is that I want everything... the last time I looked at Parallax's product sheet, I could find independent reasons for wanting all of it.
    And I want everything... right now. Which is not exactly the way a person should live his life. You know?

I've resolved myself to solder... I don't see why the world won't just put sockets where I want them... but apparently that is the case.

Tonight, I'm fixing my daughter's IPod adapter, which was apparently put together during a clip shortage in Taiwan.

I'm pushing the concept of a daughter card right now because I have "ulterior" motives... but I don't exactly know how to explain them. It will all be public domain or I won't waste my time.

By the way, I have a question for you... and Graham.

Since it is a fact that little pins on microprocessors all have L and C disease... and since we know that A/D can't always happen right at the well head... wouldn't it make sense to somehow buffer all of the lines?... Isolate them from the system noise right out of the box?

Oldbutt (Rich)
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2007-03-23 03:50
    Oldbit,
    Can you post a closeup of your breadboard - I'm interested on how you interfaced the Wico joystick
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-03-23 04:19
    This is my a pic of my setup (a little messy) and the layout I used.

Oldbit
    408 x 308 - 28K
    417 x 403 - 27K
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2007-03-23 09:51
    Rich,

You must have a very quiet dremel.

Graham