Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
I may have missed it — Parallax Forums

I may have missed it

WireguyWireguy Posts: 16
edited 2007-03-21 13:19 in Learn with BlocklyProp
I am building a Boe-Bot version 2.· I may have missed it in the manuel, but can I use NMH rechargeable Batteries?
I have been using Eveready alkalines to the good, but would like to set up a small solar panel to keep the batteries fresh.confused.gif··

Comments

• Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2007-03-21 06:42
    You need at least 6V applied to the bot. Alkalines are 1.5V each giving 6V. NMH I believe are only 1.2V, adding up to 4.8V. Unless you can figure out how to add one more for five in series total....

-Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    StampPlot - GUI and Plotting, and XBee Wireless Adapters
    Southern Illinois University Carbondale, Electronic Systems Technologies
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2007-03-21 13:01
    As Martin says, the voltage of 5 NiCad's == 4 Alkalines. So all you need is to find somewhere to wire in an extra NiCd and you could be good to go.
  • AImanAIman Posts: 531
    edited 2007-03-21 13:12
    Footnote on solar cells.

Unless you get some cells that are able to produce a charge large enough to actually cap off batteries your not going to accomplish anything but extra parts.

There are "Trickle Chargers" on the market that are designed to charge car batteries via a low but continous charge from a solar cell, you may want to check into those. Anything that is inexpensive will more then likely require trickle charging.

One place to check out is the North American Solar Challenge at http://nasc2005.americansolarchallenge.org/index.html

There is a page of links that may be helpful and there are also pages explaining how solar cars run. The general overviews may give you concepts to follow or directions to head towards.
  • WireguyWireguy Posts: 16
    edited 2007-03-21 13:19
    OK, thanks for the info.