Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
HYDRA Price reduced to $199! And — Parallax Forums

HYDRA Price reduced to $199! And

AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
edited 2007-03-21 22:43 in Propeller 1
For those of you that are following the Propeller and wanted to get a HYDRA kit, but were waiting for the price to go down...Parallax has reduced it to $199.95 now. The first manufacturing cycle is always the most expensive. But, finally we can reduce the price. However,·I doubt we will be able to get the price much under $199 since the kit has so much in it. Maybe in a year or so... we will see.

Also, those that were waiting for "Game Programming for the Propeller Powered HYDRA" to come down in price, its been reduced to $39.95 which is a really good price for over 800 pages of content,· dozens of SPIN and ASM demos, graphics programming, sound, counters, and more or less the only deep description of advanced programming on the propeller chip available.

Thanks,

Andre'

Comments

• Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-03-21 06:19
    Curious, as someone who is playing with the propeller, how much of the book is specific to the HYDRA? Would this book be worth the purchase for someone like myself playing with the proto board? There seems be a real shortage of good documentation,
    (part of what is making this so addictive to me, in some ways I love not knowing the boundaries.)

Reviews?

Oldbitcollector
  • AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2007-03-21 06:24
    Absolutely, that's why I wrote the book. The book is about the propeller chip. The hydra is like a suped up demo board. So everything that applies to it applies to the hydra and viceversa for the most part. Basically, everyone that buys the propeller chip should by the hydra book. The book covers propeller programming the context of games, graphics to be engaging, but there is no more complete text on the propeller than the hydra book. Countless examples of everything and the nitty gritty of how the graphics work inside, and so forth. You won't be dissapointed I guarantee.

andre'
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2007-03-21 10:23
    The 'Game Programming for the Propeller Powered HYDRA' book contains a wealth of knowledge and it's very well written - worth the money in my opionion (and I don't have a Hydra either).
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2007-03-21 10:59
    I'll ditto that on the book, its very interesting and makes you want to read, after all at the end of it you could write a game or a powerful super application.

Graham
  • DogPDogP Posts: 168
    edited 2007-03-21 20:53
    Cool... I was hoping for a price drop on the book... I'll have to order it w/ the proto boards while they're still on the price drop [noparse]:)[/noparse] .

Pat
    edited 2007-03-21 21:21
    They won't go back up in price, so don't worry.

Andre'
  • Jasper_MJasper_M Posts: 222
    edited 2007-03-21 22:36
    AndreL said...
    They won't go back up in price, so don't worry.

Andre'

He means the protoboards, which are $20 instead of the normal $25.
    edited 2007-03-21 22:43
    Ah, I mean the book and hydra.

Andre'