Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Purchasing wheels for a robot — Parallax Forums

Purchasing wheels for a robot

LitefireLitefire Posts: 108
edited 2007-03-21 00:37 in Propeller 1
I figure, many (if not most) of the people on this forum have built robots at one time or another. I need to get a set of large diameter but thin rubber tires for my robot. the wheels i have now just don't have enough traction.

Does anyone here have any places to look for such an item? Just thought i'd ask.

~~Brian

Comments

• LawsonLawson Posts: 870
    edited 2007-03-20 05:25
    "large" and "thin" cover a lot of territory. It'd certainly help if we had some idea of how "large" and how "thin". I certainly understand the problem, finding the right wheels for a robot can be surprisingly hard.

Glad to help,
    Marty
  • LitefireLitefire Posts: 108
    edited 2007-03-20 14:11
    right now i have 100cm (4") diameter wheels that are about 25cm (1") wide. Problem is, these are slick hard rubber wheels that get surprisingly little traction. i'm looking for some treaded wheels that can help me get up some stairs (very short stairs). i need wheels that aren't much smaller than this, and on a 5mm shaft if possible. i've found perfect wheels on 6mm hubs... and i'm hesitant to get them in case they don't fit with the motor shaft.

~~Brian
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2007-03-20 15:23
    Brian,
    Are the stairs carpeted or hard surface ?

I ask because I can cut out wheels from 1/16" pcb material (no copper) on my LPKF mill.
    Pretty much anything you can draw I could cut.
    If the stairs are carpeted, maybe some wheels with "teeth" would work good.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "Educate your children to self-control, to the habit of holding passion and prejudice and evil tendencies subject to an upright and reasoning will, and you have done much to abolish misery from their future and crimes from society"

Benjamin Franklin
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Cheap used 4-digit LED display with driver IC·www.hc4led.com
    Low power SD Data Logger www.sddatalogger.com
    SX-Video Display Modules www.sxvm.com
    Coming soon! Propeller based OSD module www.hittconsulting.com
    ·
    edited 2007-03-20 15:33
    sorry, they're made of wood (as is the rest of the arena, it for the Trinity Firefighting competition). my robot will probably weigh around 1.5 kg, and i'm expecting to need rubber treaded tires to get enough traction.

i found a perfect set at lynxmotion, 3.5in diameter 1.75 in wide, but the hubs on these are 6mm and i have a 5mm motor shaft. any ideas if these might be compatible anyway? i would need them soon, competition's on april 13/14, so if these can somehow be compatible... it'd be great. i'm hopeful but not banking on it.

~~Brian
    edited 2007-03-21 00:12
    well, can't just use them as is.

would anyone know where to find a 6->5mm bore reducer? or any part that allows a 5mm shaft to mate with a 6mm hole?
  • CJCJ Posts: 470
    edited 2007-03-21 00:33
    couldn't you use some wide rubber bands to add grip? just a thought

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Parallax Forums - If you're ready to learn, we're ready to help.
    edited 2007-03-21 00:37
    sometimes the simplest of explanations evade a mob of people. i swear i have 8 very intelligent people working on this project, and not once did something that simple come to mind...

i'll get some and try it out soon. thanks!

~~Brian