Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Hydra Book — Parallax Forums

Hydra Book

Brian_BBrian_B Posts: 842
edited 2007-03-26 11:15 in Propeller 1
arg , I think the hydra hates me . Andre' I'm not making this up , my book is falling apart.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Thank's Brian

www.truckwiz.com

·"Imagination is more important than knowledge..." ·· Albert Einstein

Comments

• AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2007-03-19 05:52
    Mine is too, the bindings on the first run are just weak on some of them, I just use tape to keep it together, but if its really bad just request a replacement from parallax support. I don't know what the policy is on this, but if its unreasonably falling apart then that's "defective" and a replacement shouldn't be a problem.

Andre'
  • Brian_BBrian_B Posts: 842
    edited 2007-03-19 12:06
    I'm trying to get by the bad section , but everytime I turn the page it falls out smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Thank's Brian

www.truckwiz.com

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2007-03-19 13:36
    Hi Brian,

You won't have this problem by the end of the week when your new Hydra book arrives.

Hey, what about that robot project you were working on?

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2007-03-19 13:47
    thanks ken smile.gif , I really want to post some pictures . I headed a off in a little differnt direction than my first pictures , I'm going to wait until I'm a little furthure along to post them smile.gifsmile.gif ( if I was a school girl I would be giggling right now).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Thank's Brian

www.truckwiz.com

Post Edited (Brian Beckius) : 3/19/2007 2:27:59 PM GMT
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2007-03-19 13:51
    Brian,

I'll try to beat you to it with some pictures of my latest hybrid robot. It's still sitting on the bench, but it's getting closer!

Ken
    edited 2007-03-19 18:02
    can't wait to see it, I'm putting the all-terain in my robot . smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Thank's Brian

www.truckwiz.com

• mahjonggmahjongg Posts: 141
    edited 2007-03-22 14:25
    Yes, the hydra book is just so thick that you have to be carefull when folding it open, it's easy to break the spine.
    My book also broke, but I could repair it with my trusty hot glue gun.

Mahjongg.
    edited 2007-03-23 01:46
    I don't understand the reasoning , I read a article about people that bought computer kits back in the 70's . They fought to get them working ,half the parts where missing and would not work any how,why? I look at a book purchase as a long term reference material investment .If It's falling apart after a very short period , It wasn't a very good investment.

Thank You Ken for addressing this so fast :- ) ,Parallax and it's employees are more than likley the hardest working people on the planet .

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Thank's Brian

www.truckwiz.com

• CariadCariad Posts: 13
    edited 2007-03-23 14:13
    Some·pages fell out of mine as well.
  • fred2fred2 Posts: 47
    edited 2007-03-23 16:20
    My Hydra book spine has been gradually splitting and now the pages are dropping out.· I

have been considering making individual booklets of the chapters by stapling the chapter

pages together with a cardstock cover.· Not an elegant solution, however, but would prevent

misplacing or losing individual pages.

fred2
  • Jasper_MJasper_M Posts: 222
    edited 2007-03-23 17:43
    fred2, how about a binder?
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-03-24 02:09
    Has this binding problem been taken care of? I'm getting ready to order my own copy. Should I haul it over to the printshop to have binder holds drilled in and buy a binder?

Oldbitcollector
    edited 2007-03-24 02:27
    Hi,
    Got my new book , I think you could run over it with a bulldozer and it would be fine.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Thank's Brian

www.truckwiz.com

• AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2007-03-24 05:10
    Just to clarify, the "binding problem" wasn't intentional and only happened on a subset of the first run of the books and only is a problem if the book is cracked open too hard. They didn't use enough glue, or press it correctly and it causes a weak binding, so if you crack it open hard you might break some of the pages. If on the other hand your copy is fine, then its fine. But, on this next run, the bindings in general are much stronger just as a matter of fact due to this printer's different process.

Andre'
  • mahjonggmahjongg Posts: 141
    edited 2007-03-26 11:15
    Just a bookbinders tip, for people who really have a big problem with the spine of the book, and want to fix it.

take a hacksaw and cut a couple of grooves in the back of the spine on 90 degree straight angles from the front (straight from the front to the back).
    Then use a strong thread, place it in the grooves and fill the grooves with hot glue.

Don't make the grooves too deep or you will make it very difficult to open the book, just deep enough for the thread.

Also, do not use a synthetic thread but a natural fiber, so the glue can penetrate the surface of the thread to make a good binding.

Mahjongg