Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
has anyone tried to interface a Seagate MicroDrive to a Propeller — Parallax Forums

has anyone tried to interface a Seagate MicroDrive to a Propeller

Capt. QuirkCapt. Quirk Posts: 872
edited 2007-03-20 12:47 in Propeller 1
The possibility of running a RTOS on a prop. is intriguing
  • 1 x Seagate 5GB MicroDrive ST1 Format
Product Specifications:
  • RunOn Technology—overcomes playback consistency
    issues with HDD music players while in high-movement
    situations
  • G-Force Protection—adds robustness and reliability to
    handheld systems
  • 2-Mbyte buffer—equals desktop PC disc drive buffer,
    enhances digital media streaming performance
  • Seagate Design Service Centers—provides design and
    testing support that helps manufacturers of handheld
    media players bring products to market faster with
    enhanced reliability and performance

KEY FEATURES AND BENEFITS:
  • Biggest one-inch drive capacity—download larger libraries of high-fidelity music,
    video and digital photos to PDAs and entertainment devices
  • RunOn Technology—solves the problem of inconsistent music playback while in a
    high-vibration environment, such as jogging
  • G-Force Protection—protects drive against shock from mishandling and increases
    system robustness
  • Available in 2.5- and 5.0-Gbyte capacities—delivers larger storage capacity for smaller
    footprint applications

KEY SPECIFICATIONS:
  • Time-to-ready in 2 seconds (max.)
  • Supports low-power modes
  • High-quality music capacities of 62 or 125 hours
  • Size only 42.8 x 36.4 x 5 mm
  • Weighs only 19 grams (2/3 ounce)
  • ATA Flex & Compact Flash-compatible interface
Compatibility
·

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-03-18 21:46
    I've not heard of it. I wouldn't recommend it anyway ... It takes too many pins ... take a look at the spec for ATA or CF. It takes a minimum of 19 pins to do even 8-bit transfers. That leaves 9 pins for other uses (in addition to the boot EEPROM and programming pins) which may be very limiting in what you can do with the data.
  • Capt. QuirkCapt. Quirk Posts: 872
    edited 2007-03-18 22:12
    What about using it as part of a data aquisition system for extended hrs of data logging·with an SX 48 or 52. 8 bit transfers would be perfect.

The pricing on Ebay is so cheap, that a CF isn't even close when you compare storage size vrs price. I just lost a auction in the last 17 sec, 5 GB, $16.00·
  • T ChapT Chap Posts: 4,223
    edited 2007-03-18 22:22
    Cheap means nothing until you factor in the R&D to get it to work, even then is there a benefit? Is the frequency of the logging so great that SD or USB drives will not handle it? Pre-existing objects and research make things much easier.

Post Edited (originator) : 3/18/2007 10:48:36 PM GMT
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-03-18 22:23
    An SD card interface would be simpler, require fewer pins, and would be more than fast enough for a data logging application. Gigabyte SD cards are really cheap now ($16). A socket would cost almost as much ... SparkFun has a breakout board with a socket for $15. You'd have to just use the card as raw storage without a file system. Linux or the Mac OS could handle this. I don't know what it would take to read such a card under Windows XP or Vista. With earlier Windows versions, you could call the BIOS to access such a card.

You could use Rokicki's FAT file system for the Propeller as a model for your SX version since it uses a bare socket for the SD card and provides a PC compatible file system which you don't have to use. You could just use the low level routines and rewrite them for the SX.
    edited 2007-03-18 22:34
    Thanks
  • The CaptainThe Captain Posts: 60
    edited 2007-03-19 00:50
    What about this? It fits into a Compact II slot. Would this work?
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,510
    edited 2007-03-19 10:15
    For lots of storage what about a USB micro drive and a FTDI vinculum Vdrive.

There is much more software for SD cards available though and as Mike says the 1Gb SD cards are now very cheap and so small.

Graham
    edited 2007-03-19 11:09
    For lots of storage what about a USB micro drive and a FTDI vinculum Vdrive.

There is much more software for SD cards available though and as Mike says the 1Gb SD cards are now very cheap and so small.

Graham
    This compares to that: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=220091832042&rd=1&rd=1
    ·
    And then you can swap it out for a 5 GB, But unless you were making your own digital photo albulm, I don't know what you could do with all that space.
    ·
    I'm sure with just a little imagination, somebody will

I found some 8051 assm code· and wiring diagram, that some one can convert for the·Prop· or the SX @: http://www.hitachigst.com/tech/techlib.nsf/techdocs/184CEC3CD133A1C886256DCC0057244F/$file/embed_a_microdrive2003WP.pdf

I'm sure sombody can have fun with this
    edited 2007-03-19 11:47
    While looking for information on this, I went to my favorite library for EggHeads (lol) http://www.sae.org/servlets/index and here are 4 links to papers written by Hitachi engineers that might include information on these drives, But it's more of an example of what you can find on the SAE web site (anything you can think of and a lot of stuff you never did)

http://www.sae.org/technical/papers/2004-01-0209

This one would be nice a, WYSIWYG microcontroller programming IDE, like Macromedia/Adobe "Dreamweaver" http://www.sae.org/technical/papers/2002-01-0142

http://www.sae.org/technical/papers/2005-01-1317

http://www.sae.org/technical/papers/2006-01-0861

You Can buy these papers online or there is an abundant supply of technical papers at your local University )(anywhere), (usally about 2 yrs behind though). Get a copy card and you can spend a weekend browsing their materials, You just can't check anything out unless your a student.

Post Edited (Capt. Quirk) : 3/19/2007 11:56:28 AM GMT
  • crgwbrcrgwbr Posts: 614
    edited 2007-03-19 11:54
    This is on a similar topic; anyway, has anyone tried a SATA Harddrive interface? What about using a Vdrive(1 or 2) to interface to a USB exturnal harddrive? I'm not worried about I/O pins at the moment, it'd be going in a propeller cluster computer.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    NerdMaster
    For
    Life
  • viskrviskr Posts: 34
    edited 2007-03-19 19:34
    To do a SATA interface would require some external chip, and probably a bunch of pins. The interface is a LVDS type with data rates that start at 1.5Gb, a bit beyond the capability of any CPU.

I'd recommend the FTDI Vdrive2, which is pretty easy to get going (some holes in their early documentation). Keys being not yet documented IAP command uses ASCII lengths rather than binary.
    The FAT details are buried in the interface, so it doesn't take much code, and at < $28 its pretty cost effective.

Check the thread in the Stamp Forum, a couple people have it running there now.
    edited 2007-03-19 21:33
    So, the vdrive would work with an external hard drive? Great.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    NerdMaster
    For
    Life
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2007-03-19 22:29
    The VDRIVE is designed to work with a USB Thumbdrive.
    edited 2007-03-19 23:14
    Its designed to work with a USB mass storage device, I think it being the size of your thumb is optional [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Graham
    edited 2007-03-20 01:22
    FYI Vdrive2 works fine with my very old 128MB USB Flash device (only one I have lying around)

Did NOT work with my Western Digital WD1200 160GB disk drive.
  • Harrison.Harrison. Posts: 484
    edited 2007-03-20 01:59
    Is your WD 160gb hd formatted to whatever format the vdrive2 wants? My guess is it will need a FAT16 or FAT32 format. Your drive is most likely NTFS formatted which probably wouldn't work. Either that or the vdrive2 cannot handle extremely large devices.

Post Edited (Harrison.) : 3/20/2007 3:09:00 AM GMT
  • UnsoundcodeUnsoundcode Posts: 1,532
    edited 2007-03-20 02:51
    The Vdrive2 is described as being able to write to a USB "mass storage devices such as USB Flash drives". The command set includes a request for free space that returns a 6 byte hex number which is way in excess of 160Gb. It also describes being able to "transparently handle the FAT file system". That is FTDI's description which as yet I have not completely proved. I have used a 1Gb thumbdrive using FAT32 and it works very nicely·transferring data either·to/from·PC·& microcontroller·. Ideal if you want a database that you can update frequently from your computer or upload logged data. I don't have a USB HD but would be interested to know if anyone manages to use one with the Vdrive.

Jeff T.
    edited 2007-03-20 03:18
    My 160GB WD is formatted as FAT32
    edited 2007-03-20 12:11
    This is almost as good:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=AL-USB20-8GB&cat=UFL

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    NerdMaster
    For
    Life
    edited 2007-03-20 12:47
    viskr,

will you consider contacting FTDI to ask them about the problem and if it is fundamental to the fact it is a HD or if it is something else?

Cheers,

Graham