Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PE Kit contents — Parallax Forums

PE Kit contents

parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
edited 2007-07-10 20:09 in Propeller 1
This may already exist, but I can't seem to find it.

Is there a list of contents for the PE kit? or more specifically the "PE Kit Project Parts"

I can identify most of the parts, but there are a few that I'm not sure about.

I looked through the currently available labs, they list the contents of the "Dip plus kit" in the set up lab, but not the project parts. I'm sure in future labs all the parts will be mentioned as they are used, but I'd like to know what I've got.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Brian Meade

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night" - Edgar Poe

Comments

• Steph LindsaySteph Lindsay Posts: 767
    edited 2007-03-19 16:40
    Here is a complete list of the PE Kit components, grouped by sub-kits. I'm sorry the information was not easy to obtain; that will be remedied·for all of our educational kits in the next few weeks when our new website is completed.

-Stephanie Lindsay

Editor, Parallax Inc.

attachment.php?attachmentid=73774
    405 x 1087 - 39K
  • BergamotBergamot Posts: 185
    edited 2007-03-19 17:05
    Thanks!

Since the Propeller pins can sink/source 40ma at 3.3v, shouldn't 1/8 watt resistors be enough for most uses?
  • CJCJ Posts: 470
    edited 2007-03-19 17:20
    it's easier to read and handle the 1/4 watt ones, I would think, and for an education kit, ease of use is important

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Parallax Forums - If you're ready to learn, we're ready to help.
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2007-03-19 17:30
    Some 1/8 watt resistor leads are too small to make good contact in a breadboard too.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "Educate your children to self-control, to the habit of holding passion and prejudice and evil tendencies subject to an upright and reasoning will, and you have done much to abolish misery from their future and crimes from society"

Benjamin Franklin
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Cheap used 4-digit LED display with driver IC·www.hc4led.com
    Low power SD Data Logger www.sddatalogger.com
    SX-Video Display Modules www.sxvm.com
    Coming soon! Propeller based OSD module www.hittconsulting.com
    ·
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2007-03-19 19:35
    Excellent, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you for posting that so quickly

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian Meade

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night" - Edgar Poe
  • JoeAJoeA Posts: 33
    edited 2007-07-03 15:42
    I just received my PEK and attempted to verify the contents against the parts list.
    There were a few parts I could not identify or match:

a. 0.1 uf capacitor, poly
    b. 0.1 uf capacitor, mono radial
    I have two sets of unidentified capacitors:
    One set of 4 is mustard color and small, marked 104
    I would take that to mean 100,000 pf or 0.1 uf, but I don't know whether they are "mono radial" or "poly".

The other set of 4 is reddish brown and larger
    There are two sets of two with different tolerances: 103J and 103K
    (The 103K are taped to cardboard)
    I would take the 103 to mean 10,000 pf or 0.01uf, but no such capacitor is listed in the "contents".
    Also, it's not clear why there are two different tolerances.
    Is the list a misprint, or am I reading something wrong, or do I have the wrong parts?

Besides the capacitors, I have 3 more "mystery" parts:
    c. Photoresistor:
    d. Infrared receiver:
    e. Infrared phototransistor:
    I assume the IR phototransistor is the one with three leads, the black thing in the metal case
    That leaves a flat yellow piece and something that looks like a small black LED.

The list is great, but it would be even more helpful if it included pictures or sketches of the parts and some info on resistor/capacitor codes.
    Possibly the difficulties will be cleared up when I get to the appropriate part in the lessons, but I wanted to verify contents before starting.

JoeA
    edited 2007-07-03 16:59
    The parts listed are those required for use with the PE Labs (either those already written or those planned but not released yet).

Many of our kits include a standard bag of components that is roughly a "common denominator"· - most kits use most of these components, though there will be some parts that need to be added individually, and other parts that are not used.· That is why you have some extra capapcitors.·

Click on these links to see the capacitors·and the infrared and optoelectronics components.

I agree that pictures would make things much easier - we had a solution designed for our new website but that launch was delayed.· We are working on an alternative in the mean time.

-Stephanie Lindsay
    Editor, Parallax Inc.
  • SSteveSSteve Posts: 808
    edited 2007-07-03 19:26
    JoeA said...
    Besides the capacitors, I have 3 more "mystery" parts:
    c. Photoresistor:
    d. Infrared receiver:
    e. Infrared phototransistor:
    I assume the IR phototransistor is the one with three leads, the black thing in the metal case
    That leaves a flat yellow piece and something that looks like a small black LED.
    From left to right in the attached photo:
    The black thing in the metal case is the infrared receiver.
    The small black LED is the infrared phototransistor.
    The flat yellow piece is the photoresistor.

After looking at the photo I see that the phototransistor is dark blue, not black. My camera has much better eyes than I do.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    OS-X: because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging Windows

links:
    My band's website
    Our album on the iTunes Music Store
    600 x 284 - 11K
    edited 2007-07-06 23:56
    I've put the table from the post above into a pdf, with pictures added for all but the resistors.· You may download it here, at the bottom of the page:

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=32305

Stephanie Lindsay

Editor, Parallax Inc.
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2007-07-07 02:36
    Steph said...
    I've put the table from the post above into a pdf, with pictures added for all but the resistors. You may download it here, at the bottom of the page:

Very nice, that will help many people! Thank you for the time you must have put into that.

Brian

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian Meade

edited 2007-07-09 16:26
    You are most welcome, and my apologies for taking so long!

-Stephanie Lindsay

Editor, Parallax Inc.
  • JoeAJoeA Posts: 33
    edited 2007-07-10 20:09
    Thanks, the pictures helped a lot.
    Looks like I've got everything.
    Joe A