• Martin_mechMartin_mech Posts: 5
    edited 2007-04-18 18:39
    Thomas

Thanks!!

Martin
  • Martin_mechMartin_mech Posts: 5
    edited 2007-05-03 17:18
    Thomas

I look every day for the serial port version?

Is there any chance of it happening soon?

Martin
  • KaioKaio Posts: 253
    edited 2007-05-03 21:55
    Martin,

overall it is working fine, but I have in some cases problems, where I must find out why it occur. Currently it is for me not stable enough that I could it publish. I know that many guys are waiting for this version. Therefore I think it should have a good quality like the version using keyboard and tv. But I think it could be possible to deliver the new version end of next week.

So, just hang in there.

Thomas
    edited 2007-05-17 00:30
    Hi all,

now I have released the new version of POD. This is the first version that supports debugging over the serial connection of your Prop board. It is to be intended to use PropTerminal on your PC which was developed by Andy (Ariba) and first published last week. In opposite to other terminal programs PropTerminal is a very little application, which is easy to use and also provides colors to show.

Please aware that a newer version of PropTerminal is delivered with the POD archive, which contains a fix for Ctrl-sequences from keyboard. Many thanks to Andy that you has permitted me to deliver PropTerminal with POD.

Furthermore I have made some fixes and improvements, mostly important are listed here.
    - handling of current line is now fully working, so you can move it to your preferred position relatively on the view and it will be stay on this position
    - you will find a online help via F1 about the keys to control POD
    - POD will show you some important labels in data view like special purpose registers

Now it's time to update!

Thomas
  • fred2fred2 Posts: 47
    edited 2007-05-17 11:21
    The serial POD is great!

I would suggest the blue highlighting on the active line of code is hard to read against

the black background.· I think the yellow or similar lighter hue would be better.

fred2
  • ALIBEALIBE Posts: 299
    edited 2007-05-17 13:56
    Hi Kaio,

This is the first time that I'm trying out POD - seems to be a very cool tool to have.· I read thru the readme file and ran the propterminal, set the port, loaded the bin file.· PropTerminal writes the bin file to the prop's RAM and then goes into "Verify..."· and then fails w/ a "Checksum Error".

Different but, related ?n; (pardon my ignorance on this)

Suppose the "Verify..." above goes thru fine and all goes well, how does one debug and step thru?· I am supposing there's no need for the PropTool editor (the COM port is used by PropTerminal anyways, so the editor will not be able to open the port).

thanks in advance

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "any small object, accidentally dropped, goes and hides behind a larger object."

·
    ALIBE - Artificial LIfe BEing. In search of building autonoumous land robot
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-05-17 17:41
    Its really neat to see great·ideas converge.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • AribaAriba Posts: 2,686
    edited 2007-05-17 18:12
    @ALIBE

The Loader of PropTerminal seems to have problems on some PCs, I try to find out why this happens. But it's difficult, because on my PC it works well.

But you don't have to use the binary, this is just a demo. Normally you use the Debugger with your own Assembly file in the Propeller Tool, and load the code from there in the propeller. The PropTerminal is designed to work together with the Propeller Tool, it gives the COM-Port free, everytime it is minimized to the Taskbar. See this Thread about PropTerminal:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=649540

@fred2
    You can change this color by yourself. In the PropTerminal.ini set: pal_4=#00FFFF.

Andy

Post Edited (Ariba) : 5/17/2007 7:26:55 PM GMT
    edited 2007-05-18 22:13
    Thank you fred2 also for your advise. I have sent you a PM to test another color.

Thomas
    edited 2007-05-18 23:34
    ALIBE,

sorry for the trouble with the loader of PropTerminal. You can use the Prop Tool and PropTerminal at the same time as Andy has mentioned.

When you have both tools started minimize the PropTerminal. This allows you to use the COM port with the Prop Tool. To show the POD demo open the file PropDebugger.spin with the Prop Tool and hit F10 to load the demo in the RAM of your Prop board. Then restore window of PropTerminal and you will see the output of POD. Make sure before that you have set the COM port. I would recommend to save the settings of PropTerminal via File menu after you have it set.

If you want to debug your own assembly code use the file AsmDebug.spin as template which contains the required debug kernel. Then insert your code at the appropriate locations. The comments will help you to find it. Then change in PropDebugger.spin the filename for asmdbg in object section to yours and hit F10 to load it in the RAM of your Prop board. Don't forget to minimize PropTerminal before.

Thomas
  • TransistorToasterTransistorToaster Posts: 149
    edited 2007-10-21 14:22
    Hello,
    I just downloaded POD_1.2.zip and I get an error when I try to upload the binary file to the Prop. It acts as if it rejected a checksum or something like that. I am wondering if it is just me, although I can't see how that would be possible. Could somebody send me a private mail of a version of POD that is working with a tiny "Hello world" program that is being debugged.
    Thanks,
    Frank
    edited 2007-10-21 20:51
    Frank,

please download the newest version of PropTerminal if you have trouble with the version delivered with POD.
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=649540

If you have also problems with the newer version send me a PM.

Thomas