Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
pcdebugtest program — Parallax Forums

pcdebugtest program

fred2fred2 Posts: 47
edited 2007-06-26 15:59 in Propeller 1
I have recently started using the Propellor Demo board rather than the Hydra.· I find that I have better
luck with the demo version programs running on the demo board than the Hydra programs runing on the
Hydra.· Perhaps due to the "picky" nature of the lcd screen or whatever.

I have tried the PCDebugTest.spin program from Jon William's article in the May Nuts & Volts that is
in the Object Exchange -- a wonderful tutorial and I am looking forward to future installments.· I
loaded the program in the Propellor Tool, compiled and loaded it to the demo board.· I then created
a Hyper Terminal program matching the baud rate specified and attempted to communicate with
the demo board on COM5 (which was the port supporting the demo board) but I have not been able
to get any resulting communication.· I was hoping to get a screen as he showed in the article.
I have to close the Propellor Tool after uploading to the demo board, since that releases COM5
so that Hyper Terminal can connect.·

I see that his screen example shows the connection speed at the bottom, but mine always shows
"Autodetect".· I suppose the connection speed indication would change when a successful connection
occurs.· I am not sure if I am following the procedure to get a connection but so far I have not
had any success.

I am not the greatest knowledgeable person about these technical subjects, but I would appreciate
any suggestions (in as elementary a manner as possible... :-( ) that would get me started on this
application....

Fred2
·

Comments

• nohabnohab Posts: 96
    edited 2007-06-26 07:56
    Hi,

I'm having the same problem. I manage to download the PCDebugTest.spin, PCDebug.spin and Fullduplex.spin but there is no visible output.

I have been using Basic Stamp for a while but I'm totaly new to the Propeller Chip, so please help with this newbie-question.

/Nohab
  • KaioKaio Posts: 253
    edited 2007-06-26 08:35
    The PC_Debug_Test program uses 460,800 baud as default for communication speed. Try to use a lower speed if you are using Hyperterminal, i.e. 19,200 baud.

You have to change the first line in main method.
      debug.start(19_200)                                  ' start terminal

Thomas
    edited 2007-06-26 09:07
    Thanks for your answer!
    I tried that but I think more information about how to get HyperTerminal and Propeller tool to coexist.
    If I start Hyperterminal first, connected to my serial port, the Propeller tool can't download the program.
    If I download the program and then start HyperTerminal I can't se anything, I guess the test-debug program is so fast that the result is sent before I manage to start HyperTerminal. (I'm using the stanard HyperTerminal in WinXP)

Have I missed something?

In Basic Stamp compiler, there is a debug window that receives information, why aren't there the same in Propeller Tool?
    edited 2007-06-26 10:27
    Hey, I got it working.

By loading the EEPROM, then start HyperTerminal and then restart the PropellerChip I can now read the expected result from the com-port.

BTW: 460 800 works fine.
  • AribaAriba Posts: 2,682
    edited 2007-06-26 11:38
    Do you know the PropTerminal ? This is a Terminal especially made to work together with the Propeller Tool.
    It emulates the TV and VGA_Text Drivers (and also Keyboard and Mouse). See this Thread:
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=649540

But you have to change the PC_DebugTest.spin , because the XX_Text Drivers interprete a LF as a X-position change. I have attached a changed version, that works with PropTerminal.

Andy

Edit: the link to works now.

Post Edited (Ariba) : 6/26/2007 8:31:06 PM GMT
    edited 2007-06-26 12:42
    Hi Andy,

no I don't know PropTerminal but it sure sounds interesting.
    I tried downloading PC-Debug_Test_PT.spin but it requires pc_text?! Where can I find that, anb d also where to finf PropTerminal?

(Sorry for all this basic stuff but this environment is quite new for me)
  • KaioKaio Posts: 253
    edited 2007-06-26 13:28
    nohab,

you can found the link to PropTerminal in the sticky thread "Good thread index (new and improved)" on the top of Propeller Forum and there under "Programming tools".

PC_Text is a replacement driver for the TV_Text driver delivered with PropTerminal.

Thomas
    edited 2007-06-26 15:59
    Thanks again,

I'm slowly getting acquainted with these stuff...