Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
assembly learning resources — Parallax Forums

assembly learning resources

OwenOwen Posts: 100
edited 2007-03-15 22:44 in Propeller 1
Can anyone recomend any assebly learning resources or books? I would like to learn how to code propellar assembly but don't know anything about it or where to get started.

Owen

Comments

• CJCJ Posts: 470
    edited 2007-03-15 21:59
    I would say from my experience with the propeller, that just using assembly is the way to go.
    since it is a flat memory model, you can focus quite wonderfully on the task that you want to accomplish without having to deal with shuffling data around in registers, just break down your task into what has to be done mathematically and you are all set.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Parallax Forums - If you're ready to learn, we're ready to help.
  • OzStampOzStamp Posts: 377
    edited 2007-03-15 22:18
    Hi

I second CJ's comment ..
    Personally definately not an expert but having a go as it is very rewarding to see stuff run
    at crazy speeds .. when speed is needed you will have to resort to assembly anyway.
    The instruction set of the Propeller is awesome.. the ability of the conditional flag mods and the
    hardware counter registers etc etc etc etc .. make this a pretty special "BEAST"
    Assembly is not that difficult really once you grasp an instruction and do some led flashing
    and some shifting of data around... and in and out data type stuff (synchronous initially)
    It takes time but walk before you run ..

Start the journey

Ronald Nollet Australia
  • HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2007-03-15 22:44
    Owen,

In case you've not read the Assembly Code Examples for the Beginner thread near the top of the forum (in darker blue coloring), that would be one place to start.

Also read the source listings which come with the Propeller IDE. There is some valuable info in those.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    h.a.s. designn