Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Researching FTDI/Vinculum for programming AND USB drive — Parallax Forums

Researching FTDI/Vinculum for programming AND USB drive

T ChapT Chap Posts: 4,223
edited 2007-03-15 10:13 in Propeller 1
I was switching out the old Max3232/RS232 connector and replacing it with a FT232RL for programming. I also need to be able to add a memory card slot to update the Propeller's software remotely, and wanted to see what the FTDI options were. If possible, plugging in a Flash drive and having the boot EEPROM update automatically would be the plan. A button to overwrite the EEPROM is an option, although plugging in a USB drive and the Propeller identifying a file present, then updating automatically (with LED verification) would be very slick.

After reading up on it further, it looks like I could accomplish several goals with the VNC1L-1A chip
(both Prop programming and USB drive). Since I can't test any of this until I get a board back, maybe someone has the chip in use and can say whether the goals above are in line if I adapt the Vdrive1 schematic straight to the Propeller.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Post Edited (originator) : 3/15/2007 3:42:29 AM GMT

Comments

• QuattroRS4QuattroRS4 Posts: 916
    edited 2007-03-14 20:12
    Originator,

'Elektor' mag. had some info this month on Vinculum VDRIVE2 using a VNC1L for usb host interface...
    This has a nice little case . There is an example circuit and explanation of basic commands...

I posted on a different thread - Vin_Ele_2007.pdf

The thread might be worth a look -

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=632098

With specific reference to your requests - I have not experimented with it to be able to give you a definitive answer but I am sure some forum members probably have ..

Quattro

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Necessity is the mother of invention'

Post Edited (QuattroRS4) : 3/14/2007 8:25:39 PM GMT
  • T ChapT Chap Posts: 4,223
    edited 2007-03-14 20:48
    Thanks Quattro

The forums link above is not encouraging. Maybe it is too early to make a board with this chip.

Post Edited (originator) : 3/15/2007 12:40:04 AM GMT
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-03-14 22:02
    I have experimented with the VDIP1 version which is a VNC1L on a 24 pin hybrid substrate and commented on my experience before. I used SPI mode rather than UART and posted a test program that allowed you to type in commands and display the responses. That worked pretty well. The problem is in a completely automated I/O driver. The VNC1L generates hard to parse unsolicited responses when you disconnect a USB device or connect one. It's possible to work around this mostly by ignoring these responses. Unfortunately, FTDI hasn't documented this well and it's not clear how to recover.

I ended up using Rokicki's FAT file routines because their behavior is more predictable and simpler.

At some point I plan to go back and try again with it. I just got a couple of their VMUSIC2 devices for a sound application and I will need to make them work with a Propeller.
    edited 2007-03-14 23:20
    MG said...
    The problem is in a completely automated I/O driver

Are you saying that functionally I could both program with the VNC1L and use it as an option to the SD for a USB drive, only I would need to use a button for the file tranfer to update the EEPROM with the new program? That is workable. I just need to finalize the design so any help is appreciated.

Rokicki's SD routine seems rock solid, but since I have to put on a USB interace anyway, maybe it simplifies the design.
    edited 2007-03-14 23:33
    Here's the link to the thread with the test program http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=620161. You may be able to use the low level I/O routines.

You may be able to use a cog to just watch the VNC1L output for the messages that indicate that a USB drive has been recognized, then attempt to find the file you want and, if present, copy it to EEPROM. I strongly suggest that you use at least a 64K x8 EEPROM so you can copy the program from USB to the 2nd half of the EEPROM, then checksum it, and, if valid, copy it to the first 32K, then reboot. I really wouldn't trust the VNC1L command/response protocol for a "straight to boot EEPROM" process.
    edited 2007-03-14 23:36
    I will read the link, thanks Mike, have two EEPROMS on board, but I'll do the larger size too.

Post Edited (originator) : 3/15/2007 12:41:42 AM GMT
  • BTXBTX Posts: 674
    edited 2007-03-15 01:49
    Mike said...
    At some point I plan to go back and try again with it. I just got a couple of their VMUSIC2 devices for a sound application and I will need to make them work with a Propeller.
    Mike:
    ·I'll be waiting a lot for your VMUSIC2 try !!

Originator.
    I said that I'll post my code·....but still I've nothing..

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Regards.

Alberto.
    edited 2007-03-15 02:16
    lit said...
    NOTE: VNC1L devices are supplied unprogrammed

You have to first update it's program to suit your application, Vdap, Vdif, or Vdfc.

The Disk File Copy could be interesting. I haven't yet looked into a Flash IC product, but with the VDFC, there could be an on board Flash chip, where you could plug in a Flash drive into one port and copy it to another. Could the Prop run a program off the Flash memory? If it can on the SD then most likely yes.

Post Edited (originator) : 3/15/2007 3:52:21 AM GMT
    edited 2007-03-15 02:24
    originator,
    I think this only refers to the "bare" chips and doesn't refer to the VDIP, VDRIVE, or VMUSIC packaged versions. For example, I got an e-mail message from Vinculum's tech support confirming that the VDIP version of the VNC1L is shipped with the VDAP firmware preprogrammed which is what I have found to be true.
    edited 2007-03-15 02:30
    Prod Lit said...
    only refers to the "bare" chips

True, thats what I meant, although it could be unclear. Flashing the drive seems simple enough anyways. Just the the other post had comments about the chip "not being programmed".

Theoretically, if you had the Vdip on hand and got it to work, and you built a board from the schematic and then Flashed the chip with Vdap, you should have the same thing.

It is puzzling why this hasn't already been tackled. The first step in my process is getting a schematic together to interface with the Propeller, with decisions on SPI/UART.

Post Edited (originator) : 3/15/2007 3:40:12 AM GMT
    edited 2007-03-15 10:13
    I started copying the Vdrive2 schematic into a design today. I isololated the Vdrive2 onto it's own separate Eagle files, that are posted below. The Eagle library for the FTDI and Vinculum chips are posted all in a single folder with the sch and brd files.

Maybe this will get some Eagle users up and running sooner, and some objects following shortly afterwards.

These need proofing if anyone uses them. I did not add a regulator. The IC is running off the board supply, not USB power.

Post Edited (originator) : 3/15/2007 10:17:44 AM GMT