Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Which motor/servo/sensor combo for movement and position info? — Parallax Forums

Which motor/servo/sensor combo for movement and position info?

Will__SWill__S Posts: 19
edited 2007-03-12 18:47 in General Discussion
I have a little project I'm working on where I need to be able to rotate an object about 180 degrees. I could easily connect a servo to it and get it working, but I also need to be able to tell which position it is in before attempting to move it. Now as far as I know, I can't get position information from a servo, so I thought that maybe there would be a sensor I could use to detect which position the servo or object is in. I only need to know 0degrees and 180degrees (don't care about anything in between). Could a Hal sensor work for this application? Would there be a better alternative?

Also to go along with my project I need to be able to detect if a door is closed, or if it is opened. I was thinking that I could probably use those security sensors that contain magnets to detect an open or closed door. Any ideas about this? Would a hal sensor work here as well?

Sorry if I don't have all of the terminology correct, as I'm a programmer dabbling with electronics. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Will

Comments