Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
propellar guitar amp? — Parallax Forums

propellar guitar amp?

samsn4samsn4 Posts: 49
edited 2007-03-13 03:35 in Propeller 1
I'm new to the prop,less than a year expirence, and was wondering if i could build an amplifer based on the prop with a touch screen interface?

Thanks

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-03-11 22:58
    Theoretically yes. You're supplying no information about your experience with amplifiers, touch screen interfaces, what you've been able to do with the Propeller so far. Do you have a particular touch screen in mind? What do you know about it? Do you know how to control an amplifier digitally? What kind of controls? What kind of amplifier?

There are a number of people in a thread in the "Sandbox" forum working on an amplifier with digital controls. I believe it's a high end sound system.
  • samsn4samsn4 Posts: 49
    edited 2007-03-12 11:20
    I havn't done alot with the propellar, just some basic robot controll stuff nothing really involved. As far as amplifiers i haven't had any hands on but about a year ago i was looking at building my own bass guitar amplifier, playing for about 18yrs, so it wouldn't take long to refamilirize myself. Touch screens will be new teratory for me, the only experience i have is from my Basic Microcontrollers class, taught by Mr. Hebel, we were going to do a interactive house demo and he pulled out a touch screen computer that the harddrive and all was contained in the monitor so

For controlling the amplifier i was thinking about using the prop for the amp. Input the signal from the guitar and sample it then figure out how to setup an equilizer and maybe some effects. It's just an idea, but maybe i make something happen

Thanks for any and all input Guys
    Daniel Mueth

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Daniel Mueth
  • paulmacpaulmac Posts: 51
    edited 2007-03-12 23:57
    samsn4 said...
    Input the signal from the guitar and sample it then figure out how to setup an equilizer and maybe some effects. It's just an idea, but maybe i make something happen

I was thinking along the same lines.
    It appears that a better quality A/D conversion (seperate chip) would have to be used as the Props internal capabilities can't do a high enough bit resolution/sample rate. I may be wrong on this. It may be possible to use more than one cog to get better quality.

It has been pointed out that the Prop is not a DSP, but it may be able to handle realtime effects. I know very little about audio processing. I'm just starting to research it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I stand on the shoulders of giants
  • BTXBTX Posts: 674
    edited 2007-03-13 03:35
    Hi.
    I was thinking in that ideas last times, I believe that make fuzz effects could be great with the PChip, I would like a reverb unit too !! but all I know about reverb needs a bit of float point matematics, and I don't believe that could be done. Floating points rutines are still a bit slow for that....
    Some years ago I've done some reverb, echo and octaver effect with the SX, it works very well, but not professional quality.
    Here's a link to read about my project...perhaps you could get some another idea from them. Look for the SX code inside.

http://www.sxlist.com/techref/ubicom/contest/reverb/index.htm?key=Geraci&from=%2Ftechref%2Fscenix%2Findex%2Ehtm

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Regards.

Alberto.