Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Serial communication problems — Parallax Forums

Serial communication problems

i_b_doni_b_don Posts: 3
edited 2007-03-12 15:52 in General Discussion
For any admin guys or helpful users,

I'm having a problem getting my Javelin stamp board to be programmed. I used this board quite a bit around a year ago ON A DIFFERENT COMPUTER and now i'm trying to use it again but the new serial interface doesn't appear to be working.

System setup:

Javelin demo board with a 3rd party USB to serial adapter on the computer running winXP.

What works:
Identify - says that it finds the "$50" Javelin on COM3 and loopback, echo, and Got Status are all "yes"
Test Connection - "Javelin found on COM3" and all the [noparse][[/noparse]debug] messages sound like they succeeded. (and i should mention that the program that was left on the board last year was programmed to print out a message to the computer terminal and due to the reset that occurs during the Test Connection process that initial text message still appears.)

What Fails
I load up the "HelloWorld" file that comes with the installation package and I click "program". Again, that text message from last years program appears but I also get "[noparse][[/noparse]Error IDE-0022] Error reading from the serial port (timeout)"

As far as i can tell there is no place I can adjust the timeout setting for the serial port or figure out what is hanging on the serial port line causing a timeout to begin with. Some serial port communications seem to work just fine (Test Connection and read back from last years program) and yet I still can't program squat.

Thanks for your help,
don

Comments

• Peter VerkaikPeter Verkaik Posts: 3,956
    edited 2007-03-11 08:56
    What brand is your usb2ser cable and what chipset uses it?
    The usb2ser cables from parallax, using FTDI chip, are guaranteed to work
    with parallax products.
    Does the new computer not have a standard serial port?

regards peter
  • i_b_doni_b_don Posts: 3
    edited 2007-03-12 10:28
    the new computer does not have a standard serial port. The USB2serial chipset is by a company called "prolific" seen at this address: http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/Products.asp?ID=59.

I don't have a problem spending the money to buy a parallax usb2serial adapter but I'm currently living in Japan and the japanese distributor does not appear to sell that item.

Are there other chipset brands that people have had success with? I can always return this USB to serial adaptor and purchase another one if that's the problem.

don
  • Peter VerkaikPeter Verkaik Posts: 3,956
    edited 2007-03-12 12:43
    I have a non-parallax usb2ser with prolific chipset (PL-2303) myself.
    That didn't work either until I installed the driver from prolific itself.
    http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=31

regards peter
  • i_b_doni_b_don Posts: 3
    edited 2007-03-12 15:52
    Dude, you rock!

All it took was downloading the driver off Prolific's website, rebooting and bingo. Thank you very much for your help Peter, i really appreciate it!

don
    (in Japan)