Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
cheap methane gas sensor to interface with a microcontroller — Parallax Forums

cheap methane gas sensor to interface with a microcontroller

CapdiamontCapdiamont Posts: 218
edited 2007-03-11 15:33 in General Discussion
This might be the weirdest request. I want a cheap methane sensor for use in the bathroom. The idea is to turn on a fan when detected, and off with it down to normal levels. I currently have a stamp, but will probably port it over to a sx, just because their cheap enough to throw anywhere. I'd also add two humidity sensors, one in and one out of the bathroom to turn on the same fan when the humidity difference is high.

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2007-03-11 05:46
    LOL! That's something I've wanted to do for years! Awhile back, Honeywell was advertising small methane sensors that I inquired about but got nowhere. I don't know if they were just vaporware (pardon the pun) or what the story was. I've got a humidistat in the bathroom that I bought from Grainger, and it works great, but haven't revisited the "methastat" since that initial foray.

-Phil
  • ;0);0) Posts: 5
    edited 2007-03-11 13:04
    Any number of inexpensive microphones could be modified to measure seismic activity, which may be a different means, to achieve the same "Ends".

BTW conflatulations, that's the funniest use for home automation I've ever heard of!
  • CCraigCCraig Posts: 163
    edited 2007-03-11 13:16
    I'd use a seat pressure switch. I'd want the air flow at speed BEFORE any activity, seismic or otherwise.
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2007-03-11 15:33
    Capdiamont -

A company named Figaro Sensor makes all sorts of solid state gas detectors. Here is a link to their web site:
    http://www.figarosensor.com/

Here is a list of the various gas detetors they offer, listed by type of gas:
    http://www.figarosensor.com/gaslist.html

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔