Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
HEL Graphic Engine — Parallax Forums

HEL Graphic Engine

dr hydradr hydra Posts: 212
edited 2007-03-21 04:04 in Propeller 1
Andre

Is there a simple way to change the visual screen (160x192) to match the logical screen (256x192) on the HEL graphic engine?· Therefore, increasing the visaul screen to 256x192

·

Comments

• AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2007-03-08 23:42
    Not really, the idea of the HEL engine is to fit sprites, tiles, palettes, scrolling all in ONE cog. I am literally using every cycle to make that happen. So if you want to decrease sprites to 2 per line, you "might" be able to though.

Andre'
  • BamseBamse Posts: 561
    edited 2007-03-20 20:27
    I haven't gotten my Hydra yet so this might already be covered in the manual...

Let's say I'm willing to use 6 cogs for graphics, what would be the highest resolution for NTSC I could achieve ?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Living on the planet Earth might be expensive but it includes a free trip around the sun every year...

Experience level:
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] Let's connect the motor to pin 1, it's a 6V motor so it should be fine.
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] OK, I got my resistors hooked up with the LEDs.
    [noparse][[/noparse]X] I got the Motor hooked up with the H-bridge and the 555 is supplying the PWM.
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] Now, if I can only program the BOE-BOT to interface with he Flux Capacitor.
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] I dream in SX28 assembler...

/Bamse
  • AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2007-03-21 04:04
    NTSC only has 224 (227 depending on·your reference)·color clocks per scanline, and 262 lines. That's it period. Our drivers do 256x192 (224) in high color with 2-6 cogs.

Its not really how many cogs, they help with the processing, but the problem is the inherent limitation of NTSC.

You can surely send a signal that has 512 pixels per line, but you aren't going to see color, but every 2, plus that's pushing the bandwidth limit on the input, so they will start to blend.

I good comprimise if you are really after total resolution is to do 320x200, that can fit on the NTSC screen, but it will artifact, meaning you need 2 pixels next to each other to see the color. There are only 160 visible color clocks of each 224 clock line, so we double this to 320, thus the phase discriminator in the TV can't get a lock for 2 pixels...

The good news is, EVERY single game console on the planet looks just fine on NTSC [noparse]:)[/noparse] So you have nothing to worry about.

Andre'