Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
I2C and Parallax Sensors — Parallax Forums

I2C and Parallax Sensors

fokumdtfokumdt Posts: 1
edited 2007-03-07 17:55 in Learn with BlocklyProp
I'm trying to use Parallax sensors in conjunction with a robostix (docwiki.gumstix.org/Robostix), and my plan is to read the data off the sensors using I2C. I cannot figure out how to connect the sensor to the robostix. Has anyone tried doing this before? Has anyone ever used a robostix in conjunction with a Parallax sensor?

Thanks,
Daniel

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-03-07 17:55
    The Robostix is a Linux based computer. You'll have to consult Gumstix's documentation to see what kind of I2C driver they've included and how to use it. Most of Parallax's sensors use asynchronous serial or SPI synchronous serial for communications rather than I2C. What were you planning to use? Generally, getting a Linux system to speak asynchronous serial is much easier than getting it to use SPI or I2C since the asynchronous serial drivers are built-in and most programming languages can directly use them where that's not necessarily true for SPI or I2C.

I take it all back. Have a look at the documentation here if you haven't already: docwiki.gumstix.org/I2c-io

After glancing through the Wiki documentation, it's not at all clear what support (if any) there is for I2C in software. The Robostix's processor has pins labelled for I2C, but it looks like you'll have to do all your own programming on the Robostix side and probably on the Gumstix side. It's really out of the scope of this forum.

Post Edited (Mike Green) : 3/7/2007 6:06:34 PM GMT