Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Running Linux on the Propellor? — Parallax Forums

Running Linux on the Propellor?

IWriteCodeIWriteCode Posts: 16
edited 2007-03-07 03:09 in Propeller 1
Would it be possible to run a very tiny linux on the propellor chip? Running linux on 8 cores @ 80Mhz would be great :-)

What would be needed to get linux up and running?
- The propellor chip is 32 bits... no problems there...
- C compiler is in the making (see other threads)...
- More memory?
- Other things?

·

Comments

• Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2007-03-06 16:05
    The kernel I am working on (very very slowly due to a lack of time) has a definite Unix flavour... see the large model memory thread.

Planned Unix-like features:

- malloc/free
    - spawn/kill
    - stdin, stdout, stderr

- IPC is via minimalist messaging system

Eventually, a small subset of Unix programs should compile/run under it, but it will take time, and a LOT of features of Unix will be missing - at least until the next propeller [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.mikronauts.com - a new blog about microcontrollers
  • KlossKloss Posts: 43
    edited 2007-03-06 16:14
    Well, some linux based hardware routers run with just 2MBytes of RAM.
    AFAIK, a uClinux kernel can be stripped down to 200k (2.0 kernel), but
    this is only the raw uncompressed kernel, without any stack and without
    any application loaded.

A multiprocessor kernel would be much bigger.

If you look at the 32k of the propeller, then this leaves a big challenge.
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2007-03-06 19:30
    If you are thinking about small linux/Unix type kernels then you may also want to checkout Minix. It is a tiny Unix like OS that had even be running on old XT class PC's off of a floppy. Some interesting links are:

http://www.minix.org/

http://www.minix3.org/

I would recommend tracking down some of Andrews books on operating system design in which he covers all aspects of the Minix OS. It is one to keep in your library...

Best Regards,

Robert
  • hinvhinv Posts: 1,253
    edited 2007-03-07 03:09
    As a long time(since 89) Unix geek, I am all for it and I have been thinking about it myself, especially since the C compiler issue came up.
    I have been thinking about a reference design using 2 propellers, 1MB of SRAM(actually 2MB, but I don't have enough pins to get at the other 8 bits), an Ethernet Controller, and a microSD card slot, serial console. This would leave about 8bits for other stuff.
    I would love to run a unix type of operating system on it. It would have plenty of processing power for such a small platform, and you could even have deterministic processing, which you don't get on many unix's because of those nasty interrupts.
    Of course, when the TurboProp comes out, having all of those extra pins will definately make things easier. And 128 or 256k(hopefully), it would be a bit easier to squese into as well.

Doug