Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax GPS Module in SmartMode with the propstick — Parallax Forums

Parallax GPS Module in SmartMode with the propstick

fishfish Posts: 55
edited 2007-06-05 14:53 in Propeller 1
Greetings,
I have implemented Extended_FDSerial to read the gps module in Raw mode, but I would much rather take advantage of the smartmode to cut down on the parsing code and save some memory.
I can't find anywhere in this forum where someone has successfully gotten the propeller to talk to the gps module in Smart mode.
The module has a single·SIO pin and FullDuplexSerial does not seem to work when txpin and·rxpin are the same, but I don't know how else to get around it.
I have tried two fullduplexserial objects with one txing and one rxing but that didn't work.
Has anyone been able to get the gps mod to work in smart mode with the propeller?
Thank you for any help you can give me!

fish

Comments

• Joe McClureJoe McClure Posts: 21
    edited 2007-03-06 21:46
    Hi,
    Like you, for me it works in raw mode but nothing in smart mode.
    Seems like nobody can get it to work in smart mode with the prop (or at least nobody says they have), which is kind of strange I think. There must be a way.
    Even with a level shifter, it still doesn't respond. I am not brainfull enough I guess.
    dunno.
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,548
    edited 2007-03-06 22:31
    fish and Joe McClure,
    Have you tried two diodes in series with this circuit instead of the one? If that doesn't work let me know and I will look into it.

http://forums.parallax.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=45710

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • crgwbrcrgwbr Posts: 614
    edited 2007-03-06 22:38
    Try something like this

Hope this helps,
    Craig

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    NerdMaster
    For
    Life
  • fishfish Posts: 55
    edited 2007-03-06 23:27
    Thx, I will give your suggestions a whirl.

fish
  • Joe McClureJoe McClure Posts: 21
    edited 2007-03-06 23:57
    Well, I Tried crgwbr's idea first,
    ·I·get an echo of the transmission. e.g. !GPS. Maybe·I need larger resistors (used 1k).
    Haven't tried Beau's suggestion yet.
    Beau,·do you mean·put a diode·from·the GPS gnd pin --|>--· to gnd like in the·attached pic?

thanks
    edited 2007-03-07 00:07
    Joe,

No, don't touch the ground going to the GPS.

What I meant was... where there is a diode already for the Propeller place two instead.

---->|
    becomes ---->|
    >|

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2007-03-07 02:58
    Beau, crgwbr,
    Guys, no luck i'm afraid.
    Here is my latest circuit and my testing code (each had many permutations).
    Any ideas?

Propstick···························································· ·GPS
    [noparse][[/noparse]16]
    R1_1k
    [noparse][[/noparse]SIO]
    R3_10k----+5v (pullup) (tried with/without)
    [noparse][[/noparse]17]
    R2_1k
    [noparse][[/noparse]SIO same pin as above]
    [noparse][[/noparse]Vin]----+6V (use onboard voltage reg)·········· [noparse][[/noparse]Vdd]----+5v
    [noparse][[/noparse]Gnd]--->|--->|--gnd································· ···[noparse][[/noparse]Gnd]
    gnd
    ·································································· [noparse][[/noparse]/Raw] open (also tried pulling high)
    (edited: forgot to show Raw pin)

obj
    · sio : "FullDuplexSerial"
    · debug : "ezterm" ' my ezlcd terminal

pub main
    · if(debug.start(EZPWR_PIN,EZRX_PIN,EZTX_PIN,EZBAUD))
    · · debug.outStr(string("Ready"),true)
    · · start(16,17)

PUB start(rxpin,txpin)·
    · sio.start(rxpin,txpin ,0,4800)
    · sio.rxflush
    · testIt

pub testIt
    · sendCommand($04) 'get date

pri sendCommand(command)
    · debug.strcat(string("tx..."))
    · sio.str(string("!GPS"))
    · sio.tx(command)
    · 'waitcnt(clkfreq / 4 + cnt) ' tried with/without a·delay
    · readRx

pri readRx | rx ' tried different variations of this.
    ··debug.outStr(string("rx..."),true)
    ··rx := -1
    ··repeat while rx <> 0
    ·· ·rx :=sio.rx
    ·· ·debug.char(rx)
    ··· debug.newline

Post Edited (fish) : 3/7/2007 4:29:27 AM GMT
    edited 2007-03-07 04:42
    fish,

Silly question, but I'd better ask... is your GPS unit getting a "lock"... is the RED led flashing or is it steady? If it is flashing, this indicates that it has not acquired enough satellites, and
    you will not be able to communicate in the Smart mode.

I'm trying to squash a big bug at the moment on another project, If I get some time while the extraction tool is running on that, I will setup my GPS unit to see what I can come up with.

P.S.

can you also post the header portion of your code?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2007-03-07 16:12
    Beau,

Not a silly question,·and yes solid red.

Here's the header I left off:

CON
    · _clkmode = xtal1 + pll16x
    · _xinfreq = 5_000_000

Absolutely, do what you have to do first. I appreciate the help.

fish
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2007-03-07 18:45
    Fish,

Do you have a Logic Probe, Logic Analyzer or Scope you can use to watch the I/O pin on the GPS when powered up? What I am wondering is if the device may be somehow in RAW mode and sending that data out continuously. Let me know. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2007-03-07 19:01
    Chris,
    Yes, I see a constant stream (every second) of NMEA data when /Raw pin is pulled low and nothing when /Raw pin is left open or pulled high.
    Raw mode seems to work fine and the data is complete and consistant with documentation.
    However, the gps module acts like it is deaf when I switch to Smart mode; all output stops, save the false 'echo' I see because my prop tx(16) an rx(17) pins share the gps sio pin.

fish
    edited 2007-03-07 21:01
    Fish,

I looked back up in the thread and see you’re using the Full Duplex Serial object. For the GPS I would actually have used the simple serial object on the same I/O line. You issue the command, change the pin to an input and receive the response. I will see if I can set up some code to do this if you continue to have problems. You don’t have a BASIC Stamp to test the example code on, do you?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2007-03-07 22:23
    Chris,
    I changed to Simple_Serial (have this tried before also)
    Here is my code and circuit i just tested it on.

I will try to find an old project in my archives (aging bot in my cluttered garage) and dust off a BS2 to try.

thx
    [noparse][[/noparse]edited: formatting]

Propstick GPS
    [noparse][[/noparse]16]
    R1_1k
    [noparse][[/noparse]SIO]
    R2_10k----+5v (pullup) (tried with/without)
    [noparse][[/noparse]Vin]----+6V (use onboard voltage reg)···········[noparse][[/noparse]Vdd]----+5v
    [noparse][[/noparse]Gnd]--->|--->|--gnd·····································[noparse][[/noparse]Gnd]
    gnd
    ····································································[noparse][[/noparse]/Raw] open (also tried pulling high)

CON
    ·_clkmode = xtal1 + pll16x
    ·_xinfreq = 5_000_000

·EZRX_PIN = 5
    ·EZTX_PIN = 7
    ·EZPWR_PIN = 1
    ·EZBAUD = 38400

obj
    ·sio : "Simple_Serial"
    ·debug : "ezterm" ' my ezlcd terminal

pub main
    ·if(debug.start(EZPWR_PIN,EZRX_PIN,EZTX_PIN,EZBAUD))
    · debug.outStr(string("Ready"),true)
    · start(16,16)

PUB start(rxpin,txpin)
    ·sio.start(rxpin,txpin ,4800)
    ·testIt

pri testIt
    ·repeat
    · ·sendCommand($03) 'get time
    · ·'waitcnt(clkfreq / 4 + cnt) 'need delay?
    · ·readRx
    · ·waitcnt(clkfreq + cnt) ' delay to slow down lcd output (easier to read)

pri sendCommand(command)
    ·debug.strcat(string("tx[noparse][[/noparse]"))
    ·debug.dec(command)
    ·debug.char("]")
    ·sio.str(string("!GPS"))
    ·sio.tx(command)

pri readRx | rx ' tried different variations of this.
    ·debug.strcat(string("rx"))
    ·rx := 0
    ·repeat·6 'for testing just grab·6 bytes of anything (or nothing)
    ···rx :=sio.rxtime(100)
    ···debug.char("[noparse][[/noparse]")
    ···debug.char(rx)
    ···debug.char("]")
    ·debug.newline

Post Edited (fish) : 3/7/2007 10:47:33 PM GMT
    edited 2007-03-08 16:18
    Fish,

In your connection diagram you’re using 6V P/S for PropSTICK and 5V P/S for GPS. Not sure where these are coming from, but do they have a common ground?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2007-03-08 16:29
    Chris,

Yep common ground. 1 power supply running·prop and another power supply running gps module thru 5v regulator.

And yes this GPS module DOES work in smart mode·with my stamp, same power setup, also works with onboard 5v source from stamp.

thx fish
    edited 2007-03-08 18:36
    Fish,

Interesting…So it’s probably just a code/interface issue. If you’re not in a hurry I can test it this coming weekend. Right now I am trying to get two other projects wrapped, but this is definitely something that needs to be looked at. I could probably test it Saturday around noon. If anything else comes up before then I will keep my eyes on it. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2007-03-08 18:52
    No hurry.
    Very cool, thanks Chris.
    edited 2007-03-08 20:05
    Okay Fish, this is on my Saturday to-do list. I will get it going and post what I have Saturday afternoon.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • ALIBEALIBE Posts: 299
    edited 2007-03-09 20:14
    Chris, thanks - i'm very interested as well - as i have put it in the back burner since i could not get it to work as well.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "any small object, accidentally dropped, goes and hides behind a larger object."

·
    ALIBE - Artificial LIfe BEing. In search of building autonoumous land robot
    http://ALIBE.crosscity.com/
    ·
    edited 2007-03-11 00:37
    Got home late today but I have started putting some code together...As soon as dinner is done I will test this and see what happens.· Stay tuned...I will have something posted either today or tomorrow.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2007-03-12 15:36
    Well, my laptop, which has a 2.0 USB port wouldn't let me use my BSLA at home this weekend, so I brought everything in today to test it here at Parallax...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2007-03-14 22:40
    Fish,

·· I did not forget you…I actually lacked some hardware until today…In any event I got everything together today and although I did not use the PropSTICK (I used the Propeller Demo Board) it should work just the same. I connected the GPS VCC line to the 5V line on the Demo Board, GND to VSS, SIO to P0 (through a 1K resistor) and /RAW unconnected. The attached code works to read the hardware and firmware versions from the GPS and proves that only a single 1K resistor is required to interface to the Propeller. One thing to keep in mind is the high current requirement of the GPS Module. Depending on how you’re powering it the GPS may not be getting enough current.

·· The code uses the Full Duplex Serial Object as well as the TV Terminal Object. Thanks to David Carrier for refreshing my memory and helping me get everything running. I hadn’t written code in so long I felt like I’d forgotten more than I remembered. In any event please let us know if this works for you. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • Jim ColemanJim Coleman Posts: 52
    edited 2007-03-15 13:34
    Chris

Thank you for solving this problem, I have been using a stamp and a prop to accomplish this task.
    Maybe you could help me with this problem: I am trying to plot my GPS data on a 20" LCD monitor,
    resolution 800 X 600. I need a VGA graphics driver to plot each pixel. The best I can find on the
    Form is a 512 X 384 bitmap. Does Chip have a pixel driver for 800 X 600.

Thanks, Jim
    edited 2007-03-15 15:52
    Jim,

I am not aware of such an object/driver…As I mentioned above I haven’t been doing much Propeller Code since we have an abundant source of that. My focus recently has been on the BASIC Stamps and SX Microcontrollers. As I find more time to write Propeller Code I will get caught up but for now my only other object contribution is the PING))) object in the Library/Demos in the Propeller Tool. Paul Baker would know more about available graphics objects. Or you could check the Hydra Forum to see if Andre has tackled that resolution. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2007-03-15 17:44
    Hi Chris,
    I really appreciate the effort you have put into this.
    I have the gps mod hooked up to the propstick with a 1k resistor to p0 and your code but my results are not the same unfortunately. I get E0. (for every command)
    I have made the circuit setup as simple and as clean as possible; complete continuity thoughout. I all looks good to me.
    The only logical thing left that could be wrong like you said is my power source.
    I have tried a 9v bat to my 7805A 5v regulator and tried two different 5v power supplies (200ma and 300ma) and get the same E0 results.
    Yet the gps mod works fine in Smart mode with the stamp using Stamp's 5v regulated vout.
    Which brings up another thought; if this gps module works in Raw mode with (with the Propstick, with same 5v regulated power source as above) then if the lack of current theory is true then the Smart mode must require more current.
    Is this because the gps mod's on board propeller is doing the parsing whilst the Raw mode need less because it is straight off the receiver's feed? (total speculation)
    Anyway, I think at this point I will have to just use it in Raw mode [noparse]:grumbles:[/noparse] and take the memory hit.
    I still yet may try using the stamp's 5v out (since I know it works off of it) yet route the gps mod's SIO to the prop's p0 (with common gnds) in a final last ditch effort to eliminate the power source as the issue.

Thanks again
    fish
    edited 2007-03-15 17:49
    <sorry for the dup post, it did not seem to post correctly the first time so i tried it again>

Post Edited (fish) : 3/15/2007 5:54:18 PM GMT
    edited 2007-03-15 19:06
    fish,

The "Smart mode" requires that you send it information in order for the GPS to know what to send back to you.
    In "RAW mode", the GPS simply streams the data as it receives it from the satellites.
    It's purely the 3.3V logic HIGH that the Propeller is capable of generating competing against an expected 4V threshold level from the GPS.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Jim ColemanJim Coleman Posts: 52
    edited 2007-03-15 21:20
    Fish

I did the Chris GPS solution with my prop demo board, using PC_Debug and the Stamp V2.2
    Debug terminal.......... it worked fine. Advice: replace the prop stick or the GPS module or both.

Jim
    edited 2007-03-15 23:52
    Fish, perhaps try a different I/O pin and change the code accordingly. Also, if you do use the power source from the BASIC Stamp Board be sure to tie all grounds (Vss) together. Take care.

[noparse][[/noparse]Edit] - I wonder...Can you take a clear picture of your setup?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2007-03-16 18:41
    Hi Chris,
    Tried all io pins, same result.
    Here is a few pics of my testing circuit.
    It really couldn't be much simpler.
    I have a 7v power supply to the prop and a 9v bat to a 5v reg (new just replaced to be sure) to the gps mod.
    Note the gps plug end near the 5v regulator is pulled out a tad just to show the pins more clearly.
    The only ray of hope is see here is that Smart mode works great with my Stamp!
    (raw mode works fine on both prop and stamp as stated earlier).

fish
    800 x 600 - 95K
    800 x 600 - 100K
    800 x 600 - 62K
    800 x 600 - 61K