Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
I want a super PROP-bot — Parallax Forums

I want a super PROP-bot

jonduncanjonduncan Posts: 40
edited 2007-03-04 21:32 in Propeller 1
I was thinking, and eventually i will get a prop so I can make my boe-bot into a super prop bot. It would be cool if I had a bot that had a camera, gps, compass, temp, servos, ping, maybe some IR, and then get a blue tooth, and then somehow send the video over bluetooth and control the bot from a distance using a laptop and the camera on the bot. HAHA that would be cool, maybe I am dreaming but it would be cool. it would also require some major programing skills. Get a good camera and put it on a turrent with the ping, and send all the information to the laptop over bluetooth, also I might be running out of inputs and outputs, but I am still dreaming. Then only have gps on the laptop and have the bot try to return to the laptop.hahasmile.gif

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-03-02 03:21
    It's not hard to do the compass, temp, servos, ping, and ir with xBee for communications. You can add a camera and video transmitter, but it won't go over bluetooth unless you do still images or some kind of "slow scan" video. The GPS is only useful if you're going to use the BOE-BOT outdoors only (needs a clear "view" of the satellites). There are already objects either installed with the Propeller Tool or in the Object Exchange to handle the HM55B compass, PING, and servos. The IR isn't hard to do. That's enough dream to keep you busy for a while. The Protoboard is only $25. You could even add a SD card socket and have lots and lots of storage for maps, programs, etc. on the BOE-BOT.
  • ALIBEALIBE Posts: 299
    edited 2007-03-02 11:20
    jonduncan, I have an ongoing project toward realizing a similar dream that you have. More info here: http://aliben.wordpress.com/

I am currently replacing the displayed lighter, more flexible baseboard w/ a much tougher (not too heavier) "kitchen cutting board" - I will have more updated pictures up in the blog soon.

ALIBE has these sensory and reactionary devices
    1. 4 sonar
    2. compass
    3. temperature
    4. accelerometer
    5. AC4790 T/Rx
    6. GPS
    7. Motor Controller
    8. Steer and Breaking Servos
    9. 2-line LCD
    10. and a soon to go on - Nokia 6610 Color LCD
    11. (NO Camera Yet)

While re-base-boarding, I am also re-re-re-wiring. I think I am almost done w/ that. Wanted to get just right the way it looks and feels.

There are a few glitches that I am running into - particularly w/ SErvo32 and FullDuplex controlling the LCD and the Servos - running on separate cogs. But, I'm working on that.

The only other issue is - of course running out of i/o pins [noparse]:)[/noparse]

caio

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "any small object, accidentally dropped, goes and hides behind a larger object."

ALIBE - Artificial LIfe BEing. In search of building autonoumous land robot
    http://ALIBE.crosscity.com/
    ·
  • simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2007-03-02 12:07
    Hi jonduncan,

It's OK to dream, and big dreams are the best!

Mike's right - the camera bit's what's gonna get ya if you want live video. His suggestion of doing that link via a separate video transmission (there are several applicable systems on the market) is probably gonna be best.

My dream's to have the 'bot's data overlaid onto the video stream. I'm thinking I might be able to utilise what 'Bean' (Hitt Consulting) has posted for this, but am nowhere near it yet.

Let us know how you get on.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon

BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offense at my writing style smile.gif

www.norfolkhelicopterclub.co.uk
    You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again ;-)
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2007-03-02 14:10
    Simon,
    I'm working on a much improved version of the overlay. This version allows you to have light pixels or dark pixels (characater outlines). It also works with the standard Parallax "graphics.spin" object. I hope to have the updated version on the Parallax object list in a couple weeks.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheap used 4-digit LED display with driver IC·www.hc4led.com

Low power SD Data Logger www.sddatalogger.com
    SX-Video Display Modules www.sxvm.com
    Coming soon! Propeller based OSD module www.hittconsulting.com
    ·
  • simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2007-03-03 10:57
    Hi Bean,

You just never stop improving stuff do ya! I'm looking forward to it...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon

BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offense at my writing style smile.gif

www.norfolkhelicopterclub.co.uk
    You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again ;-)
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-03-04 21:21
    jonduncan

I like it... I really, really like it.

The only thing I ever built was a crystal radio...from Heathkit. Uncle Adolf had one on a table that turned over so you wouldn't even know it was there... I thought that it was so neat that I wanted one just like it.

I could be wrong, but it seems to me:

There is a TV-type band capacity in the demo set...
    According to the laws of physics if the prop can transmit and the analog and digital capacities of the chip are reasonably balanced... it can also recieve. The sampling rate might not be enough right now, but that is due to go up considerably on the first revision.

It couldn't be that difficult to build an antenna circuit... and with the right set of op-amps and a little wire...

Aside from FCC regulations(which seem to be rigidly enforced everywhere that they exist but don't exist everywhere) why wouldn't that work?

A set-up like that would be good enough to drive around the yard... if you wanted to run the video through a cog-net and do something with it... that's more difficult, but it can be done. If you wanted to run it the video through your computer and do something with it... there are a lot of cheap devices and public domain software to get you started. Of course, as you probably know, there are also very cheap video transmit/recieve set ups that fit into just about anything and are completely legal.

Rich
    edited 2007-03-04 21:27
    jonduncan

Oops... make that a ham radio with a crystal oscillator.

rich
  • QuattroRS4QuattroRS4 Posts: 916
    edited 2007-03-04 21:30
    Rich,
    I noticed a couple of double postings by you recently - you can 'Edit' a post - noticed that as my inbox fills.

Regards,
    Quattro

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Necessity is the mother of invention'
    edited 2007-03-04 21:32
    jonduncan

I never did get my ham license though... at that age, I couldn't figure out why I should learn Morse Code if all I really wanted to do was talk to people in South America... just like uncle Adolf.

Years later, when I was visiting Amsterdam and the Christmas tree started sending out Morse Code... I thought... "damn... I should have learned Morse Code. People still use that stuff" [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Rich