Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
9V wall adapter — Parallax Forums

9V wall adapter

Michael PopoloskiMichael Popoloski Posts: 42
edited 2007-03-02 19:35 in Propeller 1
I realize that the 9V battery for the Propeller Education kit is probably not going to last me too long, so I am looking to go the way of a wall mount power adapter. Anything special I should look out for, or anything I need to do besides get the adapter and a connector for it? I was looking at these two parts from Jameco:

www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&pa=236937&productId=236937
www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=101178

Will these work?

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-03-02 01:02
    The DC plug on the adapter is a different size from the socket you've listed. The adapter itself should be fine. If you can find one, consider a 7.5V instead of the 9V one. You only need about 1-1.5V input above the output voltage (5V) with a low drop-out regulator like the ones Parallax uses now. The extra voltage has to be dissipated as heat. With a 9V supply and 1/2A output, your 5V regulator has to dissipate 2W. This is not a huge amount, but you might need a heat sink at full load.
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2007-03-02 14:38
    Also, that DC jack will not fit into the breadboards that come with the PE kit (or any other breadboards for that matter)

how about this Package www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=114 You'd need an appropriate wall wart to supply it, there's one that Sparkfun also sells, for less than that one you linked to at Jamaco.

This kit has a selectable output of 3.3V or 5V. You could run it at 5 volts and feed the 3.3V regulator that came with the PE kit.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian Meade

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night" - Edgar Poe
  • Michael PopoloskiMichael Popoloski Posts: 42
    edited 2007-03-02 19:35
    Sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the link.