Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Transfer boe bot to prop bot? — Parallax Forums

Transfer boe bot to prop bot?

jonduncanjonduncan Posts: 40
edited 2007-03-01 20:13 in Propeller 1
when I saw the prop proto board for only 20$ I thought about upgrading my boe bot into a prop bot. would this be a good idea. I am have done some assembly code for the x86, but I don't really like it, not sure if any one does, but how is spin is it simular to c? I like c, would it be better for me to get an sx chip. I am also thinging about just getting t the javelin. The main reason I am upgrading is because the lack of memory in·the BS2. I have this micromouse competition coming up, I might be able to fit it in the BS2 but I haven't figured it out. I have programed a simulated micromouse in c. so far I am leaning to just getting the javelin because I can just put it onto the boe board, but it would probably be better to get a j board, but if the prop board is only 20$ wow thats a steel? but what do you think?

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-02-27 21:31
    As with a lot of things, it depends on what you want. Spin is indeed very much like C, but it's very different from PBasic or Java. PBasic is also very different from Java. You already have a BOE with a BS2. How familiar are you with PBasic and the BS2 at this point? Is it worth the time to learn a new chip (the Javelin or the Propeller)? There's no guarantee you won't run into problems with either of the other chips. If you're not familiar with Java and the Javelin, it can take quite a while to become comfortable with them. The same thing is true with the SX. You can program it with SX/B which is like PBasic, but it has some quirks and it may take a while to learn those. It sure is cheap ($10) and fast for simple things.

The main advantages of what you already have: PBasic and the Stamp processors are relatively simple and straightforward. The tools for programming and debugging are well developed and reliable.

Disadvantages with staying with current system: Your program might not fit in the 2K available. You don't know that yet and it sounds like you haven't tried to optimize the program for space. Who knows? It might fit fine.

Disadvantages in switching to something else: Everything has some kind of problem. Either you have to learn a new language or a new chip or both. It all costs more money. It may or may not be better.

Another thought: Simulated systems don't help you much unless you don't have any other choices. There are always things that show up in real systems that never appear in simulations. On the other hand, it's often hard to debug spacecraft or volcano monitoring equipment.
  • jonduncanjonduncan Posts: 40
    edited 2007-02-27 21:47
    thanks. I have a java class right now, it is my second class in java so it would be easy to do java, I probably should have gotten the javelin, I am somewhat familar with pbasic just have done some pbasic programs, it reminds me of VHDL, I am also taking a class on that right now. C is everywhere and i have done programing with that. pretty soon though all these languages will be a big mess in my mind. haha. Right now I have bet on a javelin on ebay, it i win great I could work with that, but for now I will change my algorithm and see if I can use the bs2 pretty fast, then if it works I have a backup plan if one cpu frys or I can't figure it out
  • rokickirokicki Posts: 1,000
    edited 2007-02-27 23:20
    The cool thing about using the Propeller for Robotics is the real-time stuff becomes a lot easier: just allocate cogs.

I'm playing with it myself; here's my current bot (with the breadboard pulled off):

propbot.jpg

I've found it to be a ton of fun.
    edited 2007-02-27 23:43
    how does the spin programming work?
    edited 2007-02-28 00:11
    It's really cool; you just type your code into a window, hit F8, and it goes.

If you need more specific answers, it would help to get more specific questions.
    edited 2007-02-28 01:49
    What is spin simular to? basic, java, c, c++, assembly, are something totally different
    edited 2007-02-28 02:12
    It's closest to C, but a simplified version of C and with some unique features (for instance, <= is an operator
    but it's not the less-than-or-equals operator).
  • Mike CookMike Cook Posts: 829
    edited 2007-02-28 02:20

rokicki,

2 things:

1. I don't see a SD socket on that Prop-Boe-Bot yet.

2. Ya' got to connect probes up to that scope to make it work!

tongue.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike
    2304 x 1728 - 732K
  • CJCJ Posts: 470
    edited 2007-02-28 02:43
    jonduncan, if you do choose to go with the Prop, there is a BS2 function library that should help make the transition easier.
    also, do you have a USB2SER, PropPlug/Clip, or the parts to build the transistor circuit for programming? wouldn't want you to have a Prop with no way to program it

Spin is great, need access to an I2C bus, high speed buffered serial, or maybe a servo controller? add it with a code object. lets you build on what you and others have done without having to copy and paste and possibly introduce errors

PropASM is actually quite fun to program, no code pages, no separate registers, easy access to the counters for pulse/freq gen/reading

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Who says you have to have knowledge to use it?

I've killed a fly with my bare mind.
    edited 2007-02-28 04:06
    Yeah, normally there's a breadboard above the protoboard and the breadboard has all the bits and
    pieces on it.

I'm trying to get that little Zigbee transceiver you see in the corner to handle wireless scope probes;
    those nasty wires always get in the way.
  • russatowtrussatowt Posts: 3
    edited 2007-02-28 07:18
    I'm really happy with my fully loaded Propeller powered Boe-bot. It's sporting a Ping with mounting bracket, wheel encoders, Bluetooth, dual IR detectors and sound. I'll be adding a SD flash slot to it soon. And whats really cool is being able to plug it into a VGA monitor for debugging.
    640 x 480 - 46K
    edited 2007-03-01 00:08
    The only problem I have with transfering is that it takes some time to solder, well now that much, but if you want to change your design it could be troublesome, like if you want to change the restance in the IR dectection you would have to unsolder it. but I could get a mini bread board and put it under the proto board and put my sensors on that and have like an 4-8 bit bus to the breadboard then I can put bs2 on the bread board HAHA just kidding that would only complcate things, hmm that makes me think maybe I could put the protoboard under the BOE board and use the bs2 for all the sensors and motor control and use the Prop for memory can calculations and have a 4 bit bus in between them. haha that would be crazy. would it work or would it be just a waste of the bs2 because the prop doesn't need it.
    edited 2007-03-01 00:54
    I think the easiest would just be to put a small breadboard directly on the protoboard. The nice thing about the protoboard is as
    you get sensors and things to work like you like you can solder them on the protoboard and free up breadboard space for further
    experiments. I'd leave the BS2 off; it's like trying to speed up a jet by attaching a lawn mower engine.
    edited 2007-03-01 20:13
    Hahahaha