Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Gift Packages — Parallax Forums

Gift Packages

rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
edited 2007-02-28 07:49 in Propeller 1
I saw Dennis' work on the physics of sand... and I was thinking how perfect it would be for our guys in Iraq to be able to play with a Propeller in their off hours and learn something new about what is going on in the sand around them.

That's an odd thought to be sure...

And then my next thought was... why not?

I think Parallax is doing too much for the world right now to bother them with this, but I was wondering if I were to put together a little project, if in fact I could get the support of forum viewers.

I am not asking for donations at this time... what I am asking is: in the event that a little project is put together along the lines of gift packs... how many of you would donate a demo board or possibly a hundred... and is there anyone interested in actually delivering the packages in person?

Would there be anyone willing to double check the units before they actually got sent?

I also wouldn't want to handle the hardware myself... because if any disappeared along the way, I wouldn't want to be accused of stealing.

Please do not clutter up the forum, please contact me personally.

Thanks

Rich

Comments

• rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-02-27 04:03
    So far we are 1 for 27.

Essentially, in my first post... I said ... if I were to set this up so that everyone could be guranteed that it wasn't just some elaborate scam... would you be willing to donate one or more demo boards?

I realize that money is a real issue in most homes... it is in mine too or I would just buy the boards myself.

So, rather than a donation of money... Let me also ask if you would be willing to donate some time to such a project... and if so, how much?

Again please post to me privately.

And I'll periodically update the forum.

Thanks

Rich
    edited 2007-02-27 04:23
    What I'm not looking for on the forum are posts regarding donations.

But if you have an idea about how this might be done, which you would like to see discussed, I think that would be a fair use of forum space.

If it becomes too intrusive or non-productive we'll have to change it back to strictly personal replies.

Thanks again

Rich
    edited 2007-02-27 06:14
    1 for 62

Reason 999 why I should take some time out to make myself independently wealthy. If I can find one more reason, I might just do that[noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2007-02-27 08:28
    Are you just going to assume they already have a PC to program them with?

Graham
    edited 2007-02-27 08:45
    Graham,

Thanks for asking. I knew I could count on you.

No... I thought we would find out the number of PC's and then I would intend to go and get those myself.

I can be fairly persuasive.

The other question that was asked off-line was basically wouldn't it be better to send the checks directly to Parallax?

If it gets to the point, where we have more than a pathetic token of our appreciation for the General Staff... the answer is yes.

I don't really expect to get enough to be able to hand the units out freely. I would expect to get a certain number of units... and then ask the Army to figure out what they thought would like us to do to best serve morale.

If this takes off on the forum... and we can get some real money behind it... I will take the issue off of the forum and look for some real money.

I was thinking of running some web adverts....

Something along the lines... "Do we really expect our troops to win a war if we can't even afford to send them Propellers?"

Rich
    edited 2007-02-27 08:45
    Graham,

Thanks for asking. I knew I could count on you.

No... I thought we would find out the number of PC's and then I would intend to go and get those myself.

I can be fairly persuasive.

The other question that was asked off-line was basically wouldn't it be better to send the checks directly to Parallax?

If it gets to the point, where we have more than a pathetic token of our appreciation for the General Staff... the answer is yes.

I don't really expect to get enough to be able to hand the units out freely. I would expect to get a certain number of units... and then ask the Army to figure out what they thought would like us to do to best serve morale.

If this takes off on the forum... and we can get some real money behind it... I will take the issue off of the forum and look for some real money.

I was thinking of running some web adverts....

Something along the lines... "Do we really expect our troops to win a war if we can't even afford to send them Propellers?"

Rich
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2007-02-27 12:18
    I'm afraid you can't on this one.

As much as I like the propeller it seems an odd thing to boost moral with, very limited appeal (programmers and electronics hobbyists) and you can only boost the moral of a small number of people. It also does not seem like a value for money option for moral boosting.

Graham
    edited 2007-02-28 06:58
    Graham,

I meant... that I could count on you for the right question. I am assuming that we will probably end up putting them in recreation areas...
    A great way to reduce chronic low level stress is to get the brain to think about something else. There are a lot of nerds in the Army. And there are a lot of really bored guys.
    If you gave them a hocky stick and challenged them to come up with a new way to pole vault... there are guys that would take up the challenge.

In terms of morale... I don't believe that our Army has a significant morale problem to start with... but anything that can improve morale a little is looked at as a significant asset.

And these guys are at the age where they absorb information automatically... and most of them are interested improving themselves as well as doing their job right.
    edited 2007-02-28 07:01
    I would like to take this opportunity to formally announce that I am forming an exploratory committee to consider whether or not to do this.

This does not mean that I am going forward with this campaign... only that I have had sufficient interest to indicate that there is enough support to further consider it.
    edited 2007-02-28 07:24
    Oh... one more thing... about Graham.

We think so much a alike ... it is frightening.
    It's like looking in a mirror and seeing yourself... only, there is no mirror.
    edited 2007-02-28 07:27
    Just to prove to prove the point... and we aren't cheating... and we have never met...
    One of his most important rules is ... "Never ask a question that you don't know the answer to."

Am I right Graham?
    edited 2007-02-28 07:49
    I was reminded off-line that in addition to the Army, every other service is participating in that particular theater.
    So... I should just leave it at our "young people serving our country" and see if we can't find a way to do it right.