Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Into cellular automata? Try Propeller Life! — Parallax Forums

Into cellular automata? Try Propeller Life!

tallykentallyken Posts: 7
edited 2007-02-28 23:42 in Propeller 1
I'm sure the world doesn't need another Game of Life, but the Prop does a pretty fair job. You'll need a VGA screen + mouse.

Comments

• IbsenIbsen Posts: 68
    edited 2007-02-26 23:07
    How about posting a sample video for us who are not up and running yet ???

*.*

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

*.*

Ibsen

" It's nice to be important, but
    ·· more important to be nice... "
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2007-02-27 21:35
    tallyken,

I don't know much about the history of the·"life" game, but your program is very nice. For those who haven't run it, it's a complete application that uses a mouse and VGA to show some 'cellular automata' (is that right?). It has a clean, tight feeling about it that reminds me of how computers USED to be, and hopefully will be someday, again. I suppose there are other such apps posted in the forum, but I tried this one out because it just used the demo board and was easy to run.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Chip Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • tallykentallyken Posts: 7
    edited 2007-02-27 22:05
    Hi Chip,
    Thank you for the kind words. John Conway's Game of Life has been my "hello world" for years when learning a new micro, going back to the 6800. The Propeller blew me away when I converted the generator cog from Spin to assembler - just try the Propeller Life Turbo button! Now to continue fitting a SD card to the demo board (thanks rokicki).
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2007-02-27 22:40
    I'll have to try this out soon. I built a Hardware version of life and have hanging up on the wall. It's a very cool and relaxing display. The one I built was from:

http://www.sparetimegizmos.com/Hardware/Life_Game.htm

Robert
    edited 2007-02-27 23:11
    Hi Robert,
    Great link - thanks! Good info on Conway - I heard about him for the first time from the Scientific American article by Martin Gardener many (too many) years ago.
  • rokickirokicki Posts: 1,000
    edited 2007-02-27 23:17
    I too have spent way too much time on Conway's Life.

Check out golly: http://golly.sf.net/ that was written by me and a friend of mine.

I'll have to try out this new propeller Life when I get home. I can stare at this
    stuff for hours.
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2007-02-28 01:56
    Is it possible to have an "Application" repository? It's be nice to have some ready made programs, in one central place that you could download to show the abilities of the Prop. I know, there's a group of demo's that is part of the Propeller Tool installation.

Just my opinion, but I would like to see an exchange like this, once in a while we see a gem like this, but if some don't watch the forums regularly, you'd miss it. A week or 2 from now, this thread will be buried in the forum.

Or perhaps I could lend some of my unused server space and host it myself. But what domain name to create for it!? www.propellerexamples.com ?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian Meade

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night" - Edgar Poe
    edited 2007-02-28 14:11
    Hi rokicki,
    Just visited http://golly.sf.net/ - - AWEsome! you are lifeyears ahead of me in the Game of Life. I'm doing a little UI thing to front your excellent fsrw.spin code now that I have an SD card on the demo board, and will report in that thread soon.
  • Stan671Stan671 Posts: 103
    edited 2007-02-28 21:20
    The Propeller Object Exchange is no secret: http://ww1.parallax.com/Default.aspx?tabid=65

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Stan Dobrowski
    edited 2007-02-28 21:57
    Hi Stan,
    Just uploaded to The Propeller Object Exchange (shoulda gone there in the first place, darn Prop newbies!)
    Thanks!
    Ken
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2007-02-28 23:42
    I was under the impression that the "Object Exchange" was for Objects, and this really isn't an object, it is an application.

What I was trying to say is, it'd be nice for a place for Applications and Demos, and keep the Object exchange for objects.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian Meade

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night" - Edgar Poe