Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Robotic Hand — Parallax Forums

Robotic Hand

AImanAIman Posts: 531
edited 2007-03-20 12:17 in General Discussion
My latest hand has been almost debugged. The servo's used have already been programmed to play Mary Had A Little Lamb on a keyboard. The first attempt was a flop, however once mounted and debugged the servos worked well.

The hand itself is made from liquid latex - the kind that Hollywood uses for fake skin and is found in some·theater or costum stores.

Because of background in Dental work the mold of the hand used was very exact to the point it showed the fingerprints in the latex. For reasons of ease of use only half the hand was duplicated.

Skin color is obviously fake because no measures were even thought of to make an accurate skin tone. Future versions will have skin tones taken into account.

Comments

• BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2007-02-22 17:28
    How about a picture ?

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheap used 4-digit LED display with driver IC·www.hc4led.com

Low power SD Data Logger www.sddatalogger.com
    SX-Video Display Modules www.sxvm.com
    ·
  • AImanAIman Posts: 531
    edited 2007-02-23 13:29
    I can certainly post a picture of the hand itself, however I have already taken apart the servo hookups and am working towards additional flexability.

If you want a picture of the hookups I can·reattach·the servo's.

FYI - Busy weekend so it may be a few days to get pictures posted.
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,547
    edited 2007-02-23 16:11
    AIman,

After spending 10 years in the prosthetic research and development industry designing many closed loop control mechanisms, I to would be interested in taking a look at your robotic hand.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2007-02-25 04:58
    I don't have any current photos so I attached·a hand from about 3 years ago.

·
    edited 2007-02-25 04:58
    Sorry Guys, can't get the picture to load. I will·email the picture to both of you.
    edited 2007-02-26 20:29
    Did you both get the email I sent?
    edited 2007-02-26 21:22
    AIman,

Yes sorry, I have been business traveling and have not had a chance to reply.

Attached is the image of what you sent me...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
    1400 x 1050 - 362K
  • boeboyboeboy Posts: 301
    edited 2007-02-26 21:29
    Wow

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    lets see what this does... KA BOOM (note to self do not cross red and black)
    edited 2007-02-27 03:10
    The picture·Beau posted for me is·of an old mold from about 3 years ago (which is why it looks so crappy).· - By the way, thanks for posting it.

Because of the way these molds are made it takes a while for them to dry to the point they can be handled without fear. The picture on Beau posted has crooked fingers because I was a rookie and started to take the mold out before it was dry. All my molds since then have been much better.

Some of my family have had molds made of their hands for fun - its always a time of laughter.

My pictures are over the size limit·the forum accepts so until·somthing can be figured out to get around that ...

Oh ya, I took apart the mechanics because of creating an updated version but will see what I can get posted on that end with a current mold.

Post Edited (AIman) : 2/27/2007 3:15:20 AM GMT
    edited 2007-02-27 03:47
    AIman,

"...My pictures are over the size limit the forum accepts so until somthing can be figured out to get around that..."

I just reduced the resolution by half, this made a >1 Meg *.jpg image into something just over 300K.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2007-02-27 16:26
    That thought escaped me.

Can I post a few seconds of video? If that can happen then there is a good possibility of showing the fingers moving.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-02-27 18:23
    Easiest is to post it to YouTube, then post the link to it here, that way you can show a much longer video.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2007-03-08 14:46
    Sorry for the long wait on the video.

Rather busy but will post as time permits.
    edited 2007-03-14 15:26
    Hey all,

Sorry its been so long for me to get the video posted. Between a sick baby and my computer hating me ...

If all goes well the video will be posted this weekend, otherwise ASAP.
  • jason_lakewhitneyjason_lakewhitney Posts: 19
    edited 2007-03-14 20:15
    We will be waiting.
    edited 2007-03-20 12:17
    My computer is really screwed up. The only way I can access the forums is remotely, every time I try to install DSL on my machine everything starts to corrupt. I can't even hook into my stamp and download. So far I have reinstalled XP 2 times and reinstalled my serivce packs a couple of times.

If any one has ideas I am all ears.

PS - Trendnet wireless router/modem·· Model TEW-435BRM at http://www.trendnet.com/en/products/f_routers-wireless.htm