Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Need to know about a Comparison table between the SX28 , SX48 and PICs like 16F — Parallax Forums

Need to know about a Comparison table between the SX28 , SX48 and PICs like 16F

JoeJoe Posts: 184
edited 2007-02-26 16:43 in General Discussion
Hi

I need to know SX advantages.

and it is important

have a Comparison table between the SX28 , SX48 and PICs like 16F84A and 16F877

Thanks, Joe

Comments

• BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2007-02-22 15:14
    SX advantages: Speed, Support, & this forum.

On these three critieria there is no comparison.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheap used 4-digit LED display with driver IC·www.hc4led.com

Low power SD Data Logger www.sddatalogger.com
    SX-Video Display Modules www.sxvm.com
    ·
  • JoeJoe Posts: 184
    edited 2007-02-22 15:27
    Thanks ,

But I need more ditails because I know that SX are faster , and there is a support,
    but I need a complete comparison table.

for example between the SX28 and the 16F877.

Do you know where can I see it?
    ( It is very important bacause it is about industrial applications)

Thanks, Joe
  • DragonSXDragonSX Posts: 14
    edited 2007-02-22 16:48
    SX48: 75MHz (75MHz instruction cycle)
    SX28: 50MHz (50MHz instruction cycle)
    16F876A: 20MHz (5MHz instruction cycle)

Besides that, with the great selection of PIC's you have more variety of hardware feature like A/D, I2C, RS232, PSP. SX can emulate some of the communication standards through software and does have on chip comparator. SX28 only has an 8-bit RTCC and the SX48 has that plus 2 16-bit multi-function timers. PIC has these timers but many times does not have specific capabilities you may be looking for and cannot increment at the same rate as the SX chips. Some PIC's have better power management/power saving modes that draw less current while in sleep.

Unless you are looking for speed, PIC usually becomes the better choice since the great variety of different chip features allow you to pick one that best fits your application.

Also, PIC probably has better industrial temperature specifications.

You could DL the datasheets from Microchip and Parallax and compare.

-Matt
  • PJMontyPJMonty Posts: 983
    edited 2007-02-22 17:13
    Joe,

Perhaps someone will have a ready made comparison table they can post for you here. Probably not. If not, then you'll have to go to the various web sites, download the datasheets yourself, and do the grunt work.

However, rather than ask the forum for help that is tantamount to a homework exercise, why not post the tech requirements of your task and see what response you get. The folks here tend to be well versed on the the SX chips, and can likely give you lots of useful info on not only whether the SX is suited to the task, but also possible ways to accomplish it.

Thanks,
    PeterM
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2007-02-26 16:43
    Historically, comparing PICs and SXes is problematic.

Firstly, there are a huge number of PICs available with dedicated features. Some of these compensate for the lower overall speed. But they make learning PICs a process of starting over each time you move to another specific PIC with new registers to learn and so forth. Some approaches are dupulicated, but certainly not all.

Secondly, the SXes can do most things in a virtual peripheral. This approach is a much closer to the chip's hardware and you learn far more about how to make each line of code really count.

Thirdly, PICs have had C support that moves you toward abstraction and away from really learning what the hardware is doing, while Parallax provides SX/B which is a form a Basic that actually helps you learn more about the lower levels.

Finally, the 16F84A was closely related to the SX18 [noparse][[/noparse]no longer available]. The SX18 actually could be a plug in replacement for it as the pins were nearly the same. On the other hand, there is nothing like the 16F877 in the SXes. Both the SX28 and SX48 are open to doing many of the tasks the 16F877 can do and they really don't require as much hardware because they are not commited to diverse features.

I strongly suspect you will never use all the hardware features of the 16F877 in one application. And in some cases the features will fall short [noparse][[/noparse]like wanting to separate SPI buses]. So it is kind of like a Swiss Army knife. It looks handy, but it is awkward to use and not really as slick as custom firmware.

I doubt if you will ever find the genuis that will make a comparison table that really clarifies the issue. But the question reoccurs here because we alway have new members.

In sum, I like PICs but I really enjoy having fewer chips on hand that can do more AND that teach me to be a better engineer.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan