Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BOE with Javeline — Parallax Forums

BOE with Javeline

hacktorioushacktorious Posts: 72
edited 2007-02-22 18:35 in General Discussion
Forgive me if this has already been asked. I didn't find my answer in the forum so decided to ask. I am a newbie and have many questions, so please be nice....lol

Is it possible to use the Javelin on the Board of Education? I recently purchased the BOE-Bot kit to learn about microntrollers. I am a java software developer by trade and prefer to use an object oriented language when possible. I am considering getting a Javeline to use with my BOE if possible.

I am also considering a ZX-44/BX-24, and/or a propeller. There is so much info on the net about microcontrollers I am becoming overwhelmed. Any tips, comments, questions, concerns, arguments for or against these products is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The Javeline already has one advantage because it uses Java. Thus, it is the front runner in my decision. I have also noticed some people have started porting the IDE to Linux.

I am planning several projects, the first being a navigating robot, with GPS, yada,yada,yada.................

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Scott

Comments

• Peter VerkaikPeter Verkaik Posts: 3,956
    edited 2007-02-21 21:34
    You can use the javelin on any parallax development board that
    has a DIP24 socket. That includes the board of education.

regards peter
  • hacktorioushacktorious Posts: 72
    edited 2007-02-21 23:02
    Excellent, that's what I figured, but I just wanted to double check. Thanks.....

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Scott
    edited 2007-02-22 13:43
    You may want to check out the JBot package which is a complete package
    for the javelin and the BoeBot.
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/JavelinCode/files/Javelin%20Stamp%20IDE/lib/JBot/
    Unfortunately, the manuals have no pictures (draft version) but the RoboticsTextv2.2
    does have the pictures, just with basic stamp.

The package requires the os.zip from
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/JavelinCode/files/Javelin%20Stamp%20IDE/lib/stamp/util/os/

Before you download os.zip, make sure the original older ...\lib\stamp\util\os is
    renamed to os_org, then create a new folder os into which you unzip os.zip

You can look at the package if you install the Javelin Stamp IDE program v2.03
    http://www.parallax.com/javelin/downloads.asp

regards peter

Post Edited (Peter Verkaik) : 2/22/2007 1:48:37 PM GMT
    edited 2007-02-22 15:26
    Thanks...... That looks great. I wish I knew about this before I started with the BS2.

Being that I am a Java developer, and have just about completed the BOE-Bot tutorial (BS2), would I be better off reading the Javelin manual instead of the JBot tutorial?

I was going through some of the JBot chapters and it looks pretty straight forward after completing most of the BOE-Bot activities. My concern is that there would be some major differences, or some new concepts. Any thoughts? [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Scott
  • aprunickiaprunicki Posts: 44
    edited 2007-02-22 15:32
    Scott,

As a Java developer, there are a couple of noteworthy differences with standard Java:

* Only a subset of the standard Java classes - Not a problem IMO, just something to keep in mind.
    * No garbage collection - This is somewhat problematic IMO. You cannot take the creation of objects for granted, as you will quickly exhaust the memory on the javelin (without a reset). Consequently, it will constrain you're ability to use some familiar OO techniques. That being said, embedded development and OO naturally results in a compromise IMO.

Despite these things, I think you would most likely enjoy working on the BOE with the Javelin more than the Basic stamp.

- Andrew
    edited 2007-02-22 15:48
    As far as read through the javelinbot manuals, it appears equal to the roboticstextv2.2
    but with javelin code examples. This text uses the BoeBot and is an addition to
    any specific boe manual.

For me, having no garbage collection is a blessing! This means no other background
    code is running except the VP's. Just need to plan temporary objects more carefully.

The only thing that I really miss is an interrupt possibility. I think it would have
    been possible to let the JVM check a timer or pin inbetween java byte sequences to perform a single
    user defined interrupt routine. Inside that routine we could code a switch ourselves
    to support multiple interrupt routines.

regards peter
    edited 2007-02-22 17:03
    I just noticed the Javelin demo board has two serial ports. One is called the JIDE port and is used for uploading programs, debugging , etc..... How is it possible to use the Javelin on a BOE if the BOE doen't have the JIDE port? I would think this could greatly complicate things and make it a hastle to use the BOE with the Javelin.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Scott
    edited 2007-02-22 18:35
    The JIDE port is connected via straight cable with pc com port for
    programming and debugging. If the BOE has a DB9 connector then
    you can use that as programming port. If it has a usb connector
    you can program the javelin via a virtual comport using usb.

The 2nd comport on the javelin demo board is to communicate with
    external devices or custom pc programs (using Uart objects). The programming port
    has a special protocol and you have access to this port
    using System.out.print() and Terminal.getChar(). Your data
    will·however be embedded in frames so you cannot just use it with
    any peripheral, except those that have implemented the protocol,
    such as the Javelin IDE program or my JideTerminal program.
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/JavelinCode/files/JideTerm/

regards peter