Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Protoboad enclosure? — Parallax Forums

Protoboad enclosure?

DaveFDaveF Posts: 62
edited 2007-02-21 14:50 in Propeller 1
Hey All!
Does anyone know of an enclosure that will work perfectly with the prop protoboard?· I need one that will just fit the protoboard so that my connections can be set up along the edge of the board and can be access via a hole in the enclosure.

I am searching polycase.com but have not found one yet!

Thanks!

Dave

Comments

• boeboyboeboy Posts: 301
    edited 2007-02-20 15:58
    raidoshack has one http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062285&cp=2032058.2032230.2032276&parentPage=family

it is not a perfect fit but it works you just have to trim the standoffs

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    lets see what this does... KA BOOM (note to self do not cross red and black)
  • DaveFDaveF Posts: 62
    edited 2007-02-20 18:37
    Thanks, but I was hoping someone new of one out there that was an exact match. I am waiting for a reply from someone at polycase right now.

Anyone else have any info?

Thanks!

Dave
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 33
    edited 2007-02-20 19:16
    Well, it only takes about 10 seconds with an Exacto knife to get it to fit. What more do you want? smile.gif Any case you're going to get is still going to require that you make cutouts for the connectors.
    edited 2007-02-20 20:12
    So all 4 holes line up with the screw holes in the protoboard?
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2007-02-20 20:52
    Are we looking at the same Radio Shack ad? They list the dimensions of that enclosure as 8"x6"x3" - that's twice as large as the protoboard.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian Meade

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night" - Edgar Poe
    edited 2007-02-20 21:32
    Chances are slim to none that you'd find a case that will have standoffs that will line up with the protoboard, not to mention appropriate cutouts. You're only likely to be that lucky for boards that are in standard sizes and layouts, like Eurocards.

The solution is to just pick up a bag of standoffs. Then you can either affix them with screws through the case, or, if that would look bad in your application, superglue them in the appropriate positions inside the case.
    edited 2007-02-20 21:49
    Thanks Rich.
    That is starting to look like what I need to do. At least on one side of the case. I found some that have the right dimension on one side, but not the other...

Where can I get these standoffs?

Thanks!

Dave
    edited 2007-02-20 22:05
    If you have a Radio Shack conveniently close at hand, you can get something like:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102860&cp=&sr=1&origkw=standoff&kw=standoff&parentPage=search

if you want them quickly.

But be warned that that price is a total ripoff - you can buy them from most electronics parts stores for about a nickel each.

Barring that, I would just get some 4-40 machine screws and a handful of washers from your local hardware store, and use them to build appropriate height standoffs.
    edited 2007-02-20 22:19
    Actually, I hadn't thought about your application. If you intend to be using the protoboard connectors, you'll definately need to put screws through the case. Superglue is very weak in shear, which is what you'll be subjecting the standoffs to if you're plugging devices into the protoboard.
    edited 2007-02-21 14:50
    Thanks Rich!

I found some at sparkfun.com too. Looks like I will be using this option.

Thanks!

Dave