soldering information — Parallax Forums

soldering information

RickJRickJ Posts: 14
edited 2007-03-16 03:00 in Propeller 1
Does anyone know where the soldering info is?hop.gif

Comments

• parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2007-02-19 17:33
    Are you looking for a soldering tutorial? or pad layout for the surface mount Propellers?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian Meade

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night" - Edgar Poe
  • RickJRickJ Posts: 14
    edited 2007-02-19 18:15
    I wanted to find out about temperatures, methods,etc.
    I want to get into SMD aswell.
    Thanks.jumpin.gif
    I do not know what the bouncing ball emoticon means.· : )
  • BergamotBergamot Posts: 185
    edited 2007-02-19 18:40
    edited 2007-02-19 19:18
    I apprieciate it. What is the temperature necessary for a home made smd oven setup?
    Is it dependent on the oven?
  • QuattroRS4QuattroRS4 Posts: 916
    edited 2007-02-19 19:23
    Elektor did an SMD reflow oven article a bit ago - got the mag somewhere - so I gave a look at their site and there it was ...

http://www.elektor-electronics.co.uk/default.aspx?tabid=28&art=52955

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Necessity is the mother of invention'
    edited 2007-02-19 20:35
    Sparkfun has a similar kit to make your own reflow toaster oven. I had thought of doing a similar kit, but using a Propeller to control it. But I have too much going on right now to take on a project like that. (I lost all the CAM files for SpinStudio due to a hard drive crash, I'm working on a new and improved version now, but it's significantly delayed my progress. Lesson learned? make backups!!!)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian Meade

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night" - Edgar Poe
    edited 2007-02-20 05:22
    scool.gif· It would be nice to be able to solder at one time an IC that has a large number of pins.
    I hope·I could get at least 80 percent of the leads done.

·
    edited 2007-02-20 05:30
    Rickj,
    If I find that Elecktor article I can knock it on to you - if you are interested..

also see these:
    http://www.engineeringlab.com/

Manual soldering smd:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq7fXcAMRcQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5qYG95bbz8&mode=related&search=
    ·- not sure·I like the length of time the Iron is at the pins here though

Tools at:
    http://www.howardelectronics.com/tools.html

There also was a cool video of manual soldering an smd component with paste somewhere on the parallax forums can't find it now though - I am sure someone will ....

Quattro

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (QuattroRS4) : 2/20/2007 6:26:27 AM GMT
  • simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2007-02-20 13:19
    Here it is [noparse]:)[/noparse] drag SMD soldering·video··(it's in the sticky topic on safe 5V cnx... http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=585920)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon

BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offense at my writing style smile.gif

www.norfolkhelicopterclub.co.uk
    You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again ;-)
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2007-02-20 13:33
    I used to solder panels of 9 small DC-DC converters simultaneously using a domestic iron. You put paste on the pads, place the parts and pop on the iron, the solder reflows and you remove. No good for double sided but works great for single, the board thickness makes the warm up and cool down a bit more smooth than normal too.

Graham
    edited 2007-02-20 16:34
    Thanks to all. I see that the users here are good people.
    edited 2007-02-23 14:20
    RickJ,
    I eventually found that article that I mentioned - I have attached it here.. I have a 300DPI Colour·version·scanned in for you·so send me a PM if you want me to email it on to you .Its about (36MB)

Regards,
    ·········· Quattro

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (QuattroRS4) : 2/23/2007 4:49:09 PM GMT
  • BergamotBergamot Posts: 185
    edited 2007-02-23 15:02
    simonl said...
    Here it is [noparse]:)[/noparse] drag SMD soldering video (it's in the sticky topic on safe 5V cnx... http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=585920)

I've always been a little scared of drag soldering; it just seems like it would be way too easy to accidentally create a short.
    edited 2007-02-23 15:34
    I always use solderwick on SMT chips. especially if it's a really fine pitch package. Just lay the wick on top of the leads down one side and apply heat. Then repeat for the other side. It will wick out any solder between the leads, it also removes the solder from on top of the leads, but don't worry, the solder under the leads will not wick out.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian Meade

edited 2007-02-24 00:04
    What is drag soldering?
    Can anyone explain Wave Soldering?
    It looks like the board is up side down.

Looking at my original post.
    If I Reflow Solder a 1 CM Propellor chip ( QFP, I believe ), How do I know what temperatures to use?

Post Edited (RickJ) : 2/24/2007 12:11:34 AM GMT
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-02-24 00:14
    Drag soldering video:· http://www.heinc.com/xytronic/Images/Drag%20Soldering%20107.wmv
    Wave soldering is a professional process which requires big and expensive machinery.

The reflow profile is dependent on the paste used.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • BTXBTX Posts: 674
    edited 2007-02-24 03:51
    Hi all.
    Does somebody knows, what is exactly that 'gel or paste or ...???' used in the above Paul's sample video ?
    I would like to buy some at DigiKey, but I can't find in the catalog, which is it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Regards.

Alberto.
  • CJCJ Posts: 470
    edited 2007-02-24 03:58
    liquid flux, I believe

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Who says you have to have knowledge to use it?

I've killed a fly with my bare mind.
    edited 2007-02-24 04:06
    Yes it's flux, you should get either no-clean or water soluble.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2007-02-24 13:47
    What have I started B )
    edited 2007-02-24 14:51
    Thanks guys.
    But, is it really liquid ? and it's so viscous, or it's a gel ?
    What type can be removed by isopropilic alcohol ?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Regards.

Alberto.
  • CJCJ Posts: 470
    edited 2007-02-24 15:17
    to me it looks to be rather fluid, but at that size of drop, the surface tension is the ruling force

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Who says you have to have knowledge to use it?

I've killed a fly with my bare mind.
    edited 2007-02-24 15:24
    Thanks so much CJ.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Regards.

Alberto.
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2007-02-24 15:57
    You'll find both liquid flux and gel flux. Liquid flux usually has a high percentage of alcohol and evaporates quickly with heat. Once it evaporates, it's easy to create solder shorts when soldering fine pitch SMT devices. Gel flux has a much higher viscosity and doesn't evaporate. For soldering fine pitch SMT components (like the Propeller), I've had better results with gel flux because it's better at preventing shorts while soldering. For gel flux, Google Kester TSF flux
    edited 2007-02-24 15:59
    Oh perfect Forrest !! thanks so much.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Regards.

Alberto.
  • John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2007-02-24 22:09
    RickJ said...

Can anyone explain Wave Soldering?

In a commercial line, the components are all placed. Then the board travels down the automated "conveyor" line.

The "wave" is a basically a "river" of molten solder being circulated. Then a "dam" is put accross the river. As the solder flows over the dam, there is a "wave" that is higher than the rest of the solder.

As the board travels over this area, the wave "floods" the board with molten solder. The solder mask keeps the solder away from where it should be away from, and everything else is soldered.

Simple in concept, kind of trciky in application.

I probably don't have all the little details right, but I think this conveys the jest of it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.
    Click here to see my Nomad Build Log
  • HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2007-02-24 23:45
    John R. said...
    As the board travels over this area, the wave "floods" the board with molten solder. The solder mask keeps the solder away from where it should be away from, and everything else is soldered.
    Simple in concept, kind of trciky in application.
    I probably don't have all the little details right, but I think this conveys the jest of it.
    This for thru-hole part boards, I think. And only the bottom (solder) side of the board is 'wave soldered'. (Don't think they 'flood' the component side any!) And this would not support any SMD parts on the solder side of the pcb.

Think this clarifies the picture a bit. (I've been wrong a 'few times' before.)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    h.a.s. designn
  • rtowlerrtowler Posts: 29
    edited 2007-02-26 18:14
    Thanks to everyone who posted links. You've encouraged me not to fear the SMD.

I can see using an iron for "one off" projects or a repair here or there, but I need to do small runs with pin counts high enough where iron work is out of the question. Those links suggested toaster oven mods, hot air, and electric frying pans and there were pros and cons for each. My design is stable enough to invest in a mask, so that's isn't a concern. I'm just wondering what technique I should pursue. I am leaning towards using hot air since my runs are small enough and I would seemingly get a 2 for 1 since I could use the hot air tool for repair work too. But I wonder about the quality of the soldering since you would have very little control of the profile. I also wonder if you can easily use hot air on those really teeny components. Is the solder paste enough to hold them in place?

I know there is no one size fits all approach, but what are you DIY'ers really using?

-Rick
    edited 2007-02-26 20:19
    This has been a good thread.
    I down loaded software from Diptrace today and got it on my computer. It is the freeware version. I get a faster down load at school.
    I have a toaster oven for the SMT soldering. I hope it works.
    I wish I could get a logic analyzer.
    Then a cnc router to finish it off.

I hope to have something built using smt by summer.
    I have been looking to build something with 68K, PPC, Propeller, and Ubicom chips.
    I have a lot of work ahead.
    Later, Rick.
    edited 2007-02-26 20:28
    Rick, make sure that once you use the toaster oven for solder reflow, never ever use it for food preperation again (use a sharpie to indicate this on the top of the oven if you have to). You will be poisoning your food (and yourself) if you do.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.