Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2 interfacing a amplified paging horn — Parallax Forums

BS2 interfacing a amplified paging horn

GHStampGHStamp Posts: 5
edited 2007-02-21 00:22 in BASIC Stamp
We have a amplified paging horn mounted out in the shop area which is currently interfaced to our phone system.· I want to use the paging horn to sound an alarm when an event occurs (ie. machine ready/complete)

I do not want to disconnect it from the phone system, but currently deactivate it from the phone system, emit a frequency using FREQOUT and then reconnect it to the phone system.· I tried something simple with a MUX chip 74VHC4051 and an old unamplified PC speaker but it didnt work and I think the MUX chip doesnt work properly anymore (probably too much current from the 8ohm speaker).

The input imped. of the amplified paging horns range from 600ohms to 1000ohms and take external power supplies.· I am assuming with these high input imped. I can directly connect one of the BS2 output pins to the horn and have it work.· Is this correct?·

I am having trouble finding specs on voltage/current levels that the horns operate on the input side.· Any ideas on the MUX interface to share the two systems?· If its easier I am ok with mixing the two signals and have them overlap with an opamp.

Thanks,
· GH

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2007-02-18 18:52
    I'd use a relay and a 555 chip for the tone and switching. If you could tell us the paging amp and speaker mfg and part numbers perhaps we could give you more advice. Most industrial paging is 70v.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • GHStampGHStamp Posts: 5
    edited 2007-02-19 02:39
    Attached·is·a picture taken from the back of the horn.

Thanks,
    · GH
    507 x 269 - 29K
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2007-02-19 04:29
    www.valcom.com/pdf/v-1080.pdf are the specs. Do you know what the paging amp is supplying to the speaker?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
    edited 2007-02-19 13:44
    A BIOU card is in the toshiba CTX systems that handles paging. Are there any specs for the TIP/A and RING/B signals.
  • CapdiamontCapdiamont Posts: 218
    edited 2007-02-19 16:50
    Self amp paging horns are just that, they take 600ohm input not 70v. You can hook up a output of a cd player for all it cares. The load won't be much on a BS2. I do paging systems. I do a relay, with a FREQOUT on the stamp.
    edited 2007-02-20 01:14
    I am not used to refering to inputs as taking 600 ohms. The impedence is helpful in that I'll know how much it will load my circuit, but I need some type of voltage level or range that is acceptable, right?

I am still wondering why the inputs are called TIP and RING and if one is considered ground, etc...
  • paleoelectricianpaleoelectrician Posts: 1
    edited 2007-02-20 01:38
    Dude The terminology goes back to Telephone switchboard days . The 2 conductor connection was either through the tip of the jack or the ring of the jack. (Look at the jack , its really that simple)
    My Rather pedestrian question is What does· "label is missing" mean and how come there arent any troubleshooting tips in the manual for the pedestrian stuff? Also the commands in my work book dont match up with the ones in the syntax and reference manual What Gives ?·
    edited 2007-02-21 00:22
    What voltage range does a standard CD/radio handset player put out? Max current load?