Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Font in Propeller IDE — Parallax Forums

Font in Propeller IDE

JamesxJamesx Posts: 132
edited 2007-02-18 12:35 in Propeller 1
I am having to go between a couple of machines to do programming work, and I have run into an odd problem on one of them. I would like to have a WinXP machine set up with two 'user accounts', each with access to the Propeller Tool. After installing the Propeller Tool in one of the user accounts everthing was fine. But I couldn't see that program in the Start Button of the second user's account, so I re-installed the Propeller Tool in that second account. The program works now but the font is all goofy, like it is supposed to be a fixed pitch but it's variable pitch instead. Also, the installation was a little strange, in that the installer indicated "Unable to save file: c:\\Windows\Downloaded Installations.... The system cannot find the path specified"

So there are two questions: 1) was I correct in installing the Propeller Tool as second time for the second user? 2) Is there a way to straighten out the font in the IDE of the second user account?

Thanks,

Jim C

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2007-02-14 18:51
    Jim,

The current installer doesn’t allow for the option to install “Only for the current user” or for “Anyone who uses this computer”. I will notify the Application Engineer and perhaps this will be a possibility in a future release. As for the problem you had, not quite sure about the error, but I will let him know. Are you saying only the second user account has the problem with the font?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • JamesxJamesx Posts: 132
    edited 2007-02-15 00:15
    Chris:

Regarding which user has the font problem, yes it is only the second user. The first user has the usual blocky very readable font.

As you address this issue, there is one other point that might be important. I recently had to reinstall WinXP because the motherboard on the machine failed. In doing so I did not wipe the harddrive, but just added a new OS. The Propeller Tool had been installed the original incarnation of WinXP. After the new WinXP was installed, the Propeller Tool didn't show up in the Start Button list so I reinstalled it: It worked fine at that point. But as noted above, for a second user on this new WinXP system the font was wrong.

Maybe I'll leave the machine as a one-user system for now.

Jim C
  • Stan671Stan671 Posts: 103
    edited 2007-02-16 21:50
    Hmmm ... given that you reinstalled WinXP on top of WinXP, almost anything could be screwed up.· I recommend that you uninstall all of the Propeller Tool IDE versions, do all of your Windows Updates to the new WinXP you have now and then install the Prop Tool from scratch.· I think a few things got scrambled·by the OS shuffle you did.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Stan Dobrowski
    edited 2007-02-17 01:28
    Stan:

I was afraid someone was going to say something like that about WinXP. What a mess. But, that's what we need to use.

So, what is the best way to remove multiple copies of the Prop Tool, after a reinstalled XP? (If the answer includes wiping the hard drive, I'll probably pass)

Jim C
  • RinksCustomsRinksCustoms Posts: 531
    edited 2007-02-17 02:44
    If i'm not mistaken here, you may just have to link the prop IDE on the second account to the parallax font in the windows font folder. I personally haven't x-perimented with this idea, but when XP makes a user account the administrator creating the account regulates access to the main copy of a program installed, the IDE on any accounbt should have no problem finding the parallax font. As for the multiple installs, this shouldn't be a problem either, exept for the confusion... I suggest removing all the old IDE's from the administrators account using Add/Remove Programs, then download and install the latest version through the main administrator account. When you try to uninstall from another account, you just remove access to the IDE from that account or it just won't let you in the first place. The microsoft universe is overcomplicated and confusing to say the least,... ever try to program in C?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Definetly a E3 (Electronics Engineer Extrodinare!)
    "I laugh in the face of imposible,... not because i know it all, ... but because I don't know well enough!"
    edited 2007-02-17 06:44
    Jim, as others have said, use the Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel to uninstall the PropTool or two you may have listed there.· And then, with an account that has local administer permissions on that computer, install a fresh copy of Prop Tool that you just downloaded.

The Prop Tool seems to only install the desktop icon and start menu shortcuts for the current user and not for all users on the computer.· But it is very easy to let all users accounts use the shortcut.· You should not install the program multiple times for multiple accounts.

Steps 1a and 1b·below will move the start menu items for the Parallax programs from this one user aco(expletive) to all users.

1a. Right click on the Start button and then select Open.··Double click on the Programs folder.· Right click on the Parallax Inc folder and select Cut.· Close this window.

1b. Right click on the Start button and select Open All Users.· Double click on the Programs folder.· Right click on an open area of this window and select Paste.· Close the window.

Step 2 below will move the desktop icon propeller beany from this one user's desktop to all users' desktops.

2. Right click on the desktop icon for the Prop Tool and select Cut.· Right click on the Start button and select Explore All Users.· On the left side of the window in the folders list, you should see just above the Start Menu folder that is highlighted,·the Desktop folder under the All Users folder.· Click on this Desktop Folder.· Right click on an open space in the right side window and select Paste.· Close this window.

Your Start Menu Programs and Desktop should not look any different than they did before, but now the Parallax program folder and Prop Tool desktop icon are visible and available to all users.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Stan Dobrowski
    edited 2007-02-17 17:45
    Stan:

Hey Hey! It worked! The second user now has a normal-looking font in the Prop Tool. And I learned something about right clicking the Start Button.

However, a minor problem does still exist: the alias icon on the second user's desktop is a generic white w/ blue square icon, not the cutle little beanie cap icon. Any way to fix this, too?

Thanks,

Jim C
    edited 2007-02-17 17:55
    Regarding the propeller icon, it is now a slightly different problem. While logged on as the second user, the one with the generic icon, I went into the alias's properties, and changed from the generic icon to one available in a list that is offered in that window. That worked. But, it also changed the icon in the first user's account as well. Also, in the first user's account, when attempting to change the icon back to the propeller icon, I cannot find it.

Is there a place on the Parallax site where an appropriate icon could be downloaded? Either that, or a way to find the original icon that came with the installation package?

Thanks,

Jim C
  • QuattroRS4QuattroRS4 Posts: 916
    edited 2007-02-17 20:46
    Right click on the shortcut,select 'properties',select 'shortcut' from top bar,select 'change icon', browse to the following %ProgramFiles%\Parallax Inc\Propeller Tool v1.05.2\ - highlight 'propeller.exe' - click 'open' it should have the 2 propeller icons shown - highlight the one you want to use - click 'OK' - click 'Apply' - click 'OK' ... should be fine
    edited 2007-02-17 21:13
    Jim, we are getting closer.· Yes, changing one user's icon will change the other's because they are seeing the same shortcut on the "All Users" desktop.

You can repair the icon in the shortcut by right clicking on it and selecting Properties.· Click on the Change Icon button.· Press the Browse button.· Use the navigation tools in this Browse window to go to the following folder:

"C:\Program Files\Parallax Inc\Propeller Tool v1.0

Assuming this where the Prop Tool is installed.· Click in the Propeller.exe file and press Open.· You should get a choice of two different icons.· Click on the one you like best and the Press the OK button.· Press the OK button again.

You will probably need to fix the icon for the shortcut in the Start Programs also.· Right click on your new desktop shortcut for the Prop Tool and select Copy.· Get to the other shortcut by right clicking on the Start button and selecting Open All Users.· Double click on Programs.· Double click on Parallax Inc.· Double Click on Propeller Tool V1.0.· You will see the shortcut for the Propeller Tool v1.0.· Right click on an empty spot in this window and select Paste.· Answer Yes to the confirmation for file replacement.· Close the window.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Stan Dobrowski
    edited 2007-02-18 12:35
    Stan and Quattro

Thanks! That got it. I tried something similar myself, but must have missed some little aspect 'cause it didn't work my way.

For reference, changing only the desktop shortcut icon in one user's account fixed the icon all the way around: desktop and start menu for both users.

Jim C.