I can't understand why I can flood a port using linux and the
kernel shows .1 percent CPU usage while windows shows
100 percent.

Thanks,

Scott

Comments

• inakiinaki Posts: 262
    edited 2007-02-13 18:39
    It happens when the code that is managing serial communications is looping in a continuous polling, instead of waiting for the data.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • QuattroRS4QuattroRS4 Posts: 916
    edited 2007-02-13 19:04
    If you are using a dos based prog. under 2k/XP for serial coms (e.g Qbasic) it will shoot up the CPU usage .. Have had that before - what are you using on the P.C side ?

I can knock together a VS6 or .NET 2005 app for you if you like ... just let me know what you want it to do ..

Quattro

Post Edited (QuattroRS4) : 2/13/2007 7:08:44 PM GMT
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2007-02-13 19:57
    If it's a DOS program that's hogging your resources, I highly recommend Tame. It not only manages your program's CPU usage, but it also allows you to customize the DOS window. Attached is a screen capture of a QuickBasic screen. The bargraph at the bottom keeps track of CPU usage. And do you recognize that font? QuickBasic never looked so good!

-Phil
    732 x 698 - 36K
  • QuattroRS4QuattroRS4 Posts: 916
    edited 2007-02-13 20:10
    Phil,
    I like it .... have to say I preferred the days of QB and later PowerBasic - any of the earlier embedded machines I made used PB and FreeDos ... boot time of next to nothing a small CF to IDE adapter as a HDD - made a reinstall / upgrade a 'seconds' job not like todays drawn out affairs. Has me thinking of combining props with an embedded PB P.C again.

How did it all get so messy ???

Quattro
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2007-02-13 20:27
    Quattro,

I know what you mean. When all I had was DOS, I felt like I had control over the machine. But my WinXP computer? It's just something that Microsoft "lets" me use on their terms. I don't even feel like I own it. :-(

-Phil