Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Using ProtoBoard with BreadBoard Options. — Parallax Forums

Using ProtoBoard with BreadBoard Options.

medelmanmedelman Posts: 21
edited 2007-02-13 20:37 in Propeller 1
I recieved my protoboard yesterday and soldered on the accessories for it. It was cool to be able to output to my monitor. Seems like their is alot of possibilities for using that feature, but my mind is numb from my college studies. I bought the protoboard over the demo board or·the education board because it was somewhat cheaper compared to the others,·but mainly because it has the easy connections for VGA, PS2 Keyboard and Mouse. The problem is that I want to use a breadboard with this board because I want to experiment without ruining the protoboard. I realize this isn't the intention of the protoboard, but I guess I'm weird. My idea was to mount this board in place of the original board of education on my boe-bot (or even standalone) and then stack another board on top of this with risers and then place a small bread board on·it. What would be my best option to run the I/O pins to the top board? Could I use the female connectors/headers that were originally going to be put in the accessory pack, and then use something like a floppy/disk drive cable to route them to the top bread board? Is there a better solution? Even though I've been in college for about 2 years now since returning (I'm 30), I am just starting to finally get into the E.E courses. I am taking digital design now, and in physics we are going to start talking about electricity and circuits·soon. At somepoint I'd like to use the propeller for a design project if I need to do one of those for a class, but I have no idea what to make. Anyways.. I have to go to physics class soon to learn more about optics..shocked.gif

Thanks for the input.

Matt

Comments

• bambinobambino Posts: 789
    edited 2007-02-13 15:47
    Parts,

One to four BreadBoards,

Card board sheet,

ProtoBoard.

Insulated wire or garbage bag tie

Lay the protoboard in the center of the Card board and punch holes thru at the eyelets int the card board; secure with the ties.
    Place the breadboard/breadboards next to and around the protoboard and secure the same way as the protoboard.

Then the only soldering will be jumper wires from the protoboard. The free ends can then be placed where ever.
  • John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2007-02-13 16:00
    Look at these two products from Wulfden:

www.wulfden.org/SPBU/index.shtml
    www.wulfden.org/PRC/index.shtml

They should give you some ideas, and they also list the parts used.

You could mount some female (or male) headers on the prototype board, and then use jumpers to a breadboard mounted to the side of the proto board, (or above/below).

I haven't looked at the docs for the protoboard yet, but if you could get the female jumpers "out" toward the edges of the protoboard far enough, you might even be able to mount a bread board right above the Propeller chip with somespacers or a couple layers of the "double face sticky" foam.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.
    Click here to see my Nomad Build Log
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-02-13 20:37
    Hi Matt,

Good to see you jumping into the Propeller. If you are only looking for the size of breadboard that is typically used on Parallax products (http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=700-00012) and you dont care about it overhanging, it can still work. It has a self adhesive backing, line it up the way you want it and score the protective paper along the edge of the board with an x-acto and peel off the portion that is over the board.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.