Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
USB to Serial adapter causes computer to crash (BSOD) — Parallax Forums

USB to Serial adapter causes computer to crash (BSOD)

GTGT Posts: 2
edited 2007-02-12 08:03 in General Discussion
I am trying to download to an existing working project. As I now use a new Dell Inspiron 6000, there is no Com port and I have to use a USB to Serial converter.
I can download the program to the Basic chip and it will run, but trying to use the edit window to observe the program causes the computer to crash.
I have tried several different adapters, but they all fail. I assume this may have something to do with the Dell, but it does work for other serial based equipment
(eg. a Garmin GPS unit and an odd printer). Anybody have any ideas? The converter uses the Prolific chipset and automatically loads its driver when plugged in.
GT.
PS. Is there ANY way I can read the program on a Basic2 chip? Seem to have lost the original program printout and would like to make some alterations...

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-02-10 22:55
    Regarding the PS: Not realistically. The program is stored on an EEPROM on the BS2 hybrid substrate in "byte code" format. It's not really readable even if you got a dump of the EEPROM contents. There are some companies that specialize in doing this and converting the byte codes back into source code, but the variable names, labels, and comments are gone and it's usually very hard to understand a program without them. In any event, their services are very expensive since it's very person time intensive.

It's probably the driver for the USB to serial converter. Some of them are not reliable and some programs may use some features while others will use a different subset of features. Adapters that are known to work with Parallax stuff include their own FTDI-based adapters and Keyspan's High Speed USB to serial adapter. I've used both with Windows and MacOS on several different machines without problems.
  • Peter VerkaikPeter Verkaik Posts: 3,956
    edited 2007-02-10 23:02
    I have a usb2ser cable with prolific chipset and it did not work with
    the supplied drivers. It does however work with the drivers prolific offers.
    http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=31
    (chip PL2303)

regards peter
  • tommytommy Posts: 84
    edited 2007-02-12 07:44
    . my experience, here - was similar...

·attachment.php?attachmentid=45435

·...when·my older, "serial-port" computer died...· my conclusion is that the Parallax driver was programed to recognize only the added Parallax component, and not the original SX-Key, probably out of necessity - (vs. the replacement of hundreds (thousands ?) of Keys....)

. it was like pulling teeth from chickens (two weeks of daily e-mails with Parallax) until I even discovered that a "Parallax method" had been designed - but I then ordered the part and all works well.

. I also concluded that the serial port to USB conversion, for existing users who change computers, is not advertised well, if at all.·· So even you are BS2 and I am SX-Key,·I'm plopping the above message wherever it might do some good...
    tommy

Post Edited (tommy) : 2/12/2007 7:54:40 AM GMT
  • Tronic (Greece)Tronic (Greece) Posts: 130
    edited 2007-02-12 08:03
    I got a USB2Serial adapter that needed to check the "serial printer" setting on its properties in order to see the basic stamp...

Hope this helps.

Rgrds Thanos

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Greekbotics: Greek Robotics Forum

(Translate it using Babelfish)
    ·