Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PID Objects and Performance — Parallax Forums

PID Objects and Performance

Paul RowntreePaul Rowntree Posts: 49
edited 2007-02-10 22:56 in Propeller 1
Greetings all;
I am interested in using a Propeller to run a PID feedback loop on one Cog. Does anyone have any experience with the frequency response that would be available using Spin or Assembler in a PID application? I would be needing 10kHz-20kHz capability.

Cheers!

Paul Rowntree

Comments

• Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2007-02-10 21:16
    20khz would give you 1000 instructions worth of time, so an integer PID loop ought to be quite capable of it; however, are you REALLY sure you need a PID loop that fast? Thats a control action every 0.05ms!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.mikronauts.com - a new blog about microcontrollers
  • Paul RowntreePaul Rowntree Posts: 49
    edited 2007-02-10 22:30
    Hi Bill;
    Yes, speed is important, but 10kHz would be a more typical response time. We work with scanning tunneling microscopes, and the PID is used to track the motion of a sharp tip above a surface with atomic resolution. The PID keeps the tip at a constant height above each atom of the surface; if the PID is too slow, the tip hits the surface and usually damages the tip and or the surface.
    We have used analog control loops and DSP based systems; I was wondering if a Cog/Propeller system could do it as well. For the cost of a chip, it would be an easy experiment to try.

Cheers!

Paul Rowntree
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2007-02-10 22:56
    Hi Paul,

Very cool appilcation; wish I had your toys!

Check out http://www.motionsystemdesign.com/Issue/Article/17779/Moving_with_modified_PID_loops.aspx you might find it useful.

A fixed point PID should run more than fast enough in a cog.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.mikronauts.com - a new blog about microcontrollers