Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
new to basic stamp I want to build a robot — Parallax Forums

new to basic stamp I want to build a robot

axpaxp Posts: 16
edited 2007-02-10 17:18 in BASIC Stamp
I want to build a robot but I dont know where to start? my question is do I build the brains first or the body? what software can I use to design this robot? this is not a battle bot, this would be used in a movie. any ideas or info would be great!

Comments

• LSBLSB Posts: 175
    edited 2007-02-10 16:41
    The internet is full of ideas! Start by Googling hobby robot, electronic projects, and... follow your imagination. As you discover the answers to your questions, you ARE building a robot, and the journey... knowledge, mistakes, and experience you gather along the way will be worthy of a movie when you are finished.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2007-02-10 16:42
    I think that two continuous rotation servos is the best way to start. You can get the BOEbot kit or just build one from scratch. Other motors work, but require gears and control circuits that quickly become costly OR use too much power to operate easily from small batteries.

When you say used in a movie, can you use a minature and make it look larger, OR do you have to build large? You can use IR from a TV remote control to control directions or R/C model airplane remote control. Lots of choices, so much depend on you and your budget.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • axpaxp Posts: 16
    edited 2007-02-10 16:54
    thanks for the replys! the robot has to be about 4 feet tall but I will study sci fi tv robots for now! I found a robot sharper image produced a few years back, i can use that if I can find some one thats selling it, none on ebay right now! thanks!
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-02-10 16:56
    I would start with Parallax's tutorial on Robotics using the BOE-BOT, SumoBot, and Toddler. All use different Parallax hardware to demonstrate concepts used in robotics. They will also give you some idea of what's doable as you're learning about how to do this. It's usually easier to start with a concept based on your own or someone else's experience, then build some basic hardware so you have something to try out concepts with, then you will go through cycles of try this, change that, try that, change this, etc. For use in a movie, you can always hang decorations, body shells, etc. off a solid, stable body.

Also look at the Crawlers as a non-wheeled platform. You can mount other things easily on it (other motors, support for limbs, sensors, etc.)

You can search this forum (like the completed projects or sandbox forums) for examples of what people have done. Brian Beckius has been working on a giant BOE-BOT like platform run by a pair of windshield wiper motors. Ken Gracey has a scooter run by a motor-generator, all with posted pictures.

Post Edited (Mike Green) : 2/10/2007 5:01:53 PM GMT
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2007-02-10 17:18
    If it's for a movie I would look at radio control devices at your hobby shop or Radio Shack for the base. You will need to do much more adlib controlling that a microprocessor will easily allow. You can use the BS in the control of addons and features though.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen