Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic Stamp & Editor — Parallax Forums

Basic Stamp & Editor

CruxCrux Posts: 74
edited 2007-02-07 13:11 in Learn with BlocklyProp
I would like to know how to download the code from the BS2 into your editor in the PC, is that possible?

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2007-02-07 11:32
    Crux -

In one word no, but that's not the most important aspect. Even if you could download it, it would neither be human readable, nor useful in any practical way. Additionally, there would be no protection of your code, if that were possible,.

I presume you were looking to recover the source code from a PBASIC Stamp which had already been programmed.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

Post Edited (Bruce Bates) : 2/7/2007 11:44:47 AM GMT
  • CruxCrux Posts: 74
    edited 2007-02-07 12:37
    Yes.. I lost my back-up
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2007-02-07 13:11
    Crux -

As much as I may be able to empathize with your situation, there is just no way to retrieve your human readable program code, primarily since it doesn't exist past the PBASIC Editor processing. Here's why that is.

This is what happens to your program code, as it passes through the PBASIC Editor/Compiler, and is passed on to the PBASIC Interpreter Chip.

First you have to realize that there are two primary parts to the PBASIC System -

1. Editor/Code Processor

a. Read the human readable form of the user program.

b. Syntax check and rules check all input.

c. Provide error output, if any errors are found. If so, stop processing.

d. If no errrors are found, convert the human readable source code into a dorm known as "tokens". Tokens are an intermediate form of your use program which is not human readable (by ordinary means).

e. Transfer the validated "tokens" to the PBASIC Interpreter program hold area which exists on the proprietary PBASIC Interperter Chip, and the adjunctive EEPROM.

AT THIS JUNCTURE THE PBASIC EDITOR IS FINISHED, and the HUMAN READABLE CODE CEASES TO EXIST!

2. Execution Phase Processing

a. Fetch the tokens as required, and process accordingly.

b. Apply the parameters of the respective tokens to the in-built execution routines within the PBASIC Interpreter Chip.

c. Program executes via interpretation, as instructed, by the PBASIC Interpreter Chip.

That's about it, albeit an over-simplification.

I have always lived by the precept that for important data or important programs, I need to make one more back-up of it than I think I'll ever need. So far it's never failed me. Prior to coming to that realization, I did a LOT of crying over lost data and programs! Data storage is as cheap as it's ever been in history! Use it, and use it often.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

Post Edited (Bruce Bates) : 2/7/2007 2:18:32 PM GMT