Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
StampWorks the book — Parallax Forums

StampWorks the book

jhoyozajhoyoza Posts: 72
edited 2007-02-07 01:36 in General Discussion
I really think that compliments should be given when appropriate. And perhaps only in this type of situation, an endorsement may be acceptable from a beginner such as myself.

I had purchased Jon Williams book “StampWorks” and I must say It was well worth the few dollars it cost. I’m most impressed with not only the advanced type projects, but the explanations described in layman terms. Not only does every chapter and project have a discussion of what he calls “Behind the Scenes” he also provides, in many cases, tips on how to “Write Code like a Pro.” This, in my humble opinion, is the most valuable aspect of the book and it has helped me understand with greater detail the advanced concepts of programming, how to write code more efficiently and, with greater flexibility. Trust me, well worth a read.

Although Jon’s book it is not designed to answer every question a beginner may have, I do have a much better understanding of how to write code as far as correct syntax is concerned. I also now have a greater understanding of program flow and techniques, and when I see things like mode = mode + 1 // 5, I know exactly what it means and the whys and how’s of it! Have you ever wondered about dealing with advanced concepts such as analog input from potentiometers and others devices, I2C communication, and how about serial communication with your PC? If not, this book is for you. Did you know that you can expand the amount input and output pins using simple shift registers? Do you even know what a shift register is? And how about how to hook up those deceptively inexpensive character LCD’s you see on EBay that do not have interpreter circuitry built in? And much, much more?

It is available free for download, however I would recommend purchasing the printed text, as it is certainly more convenient for study and contemplation and cost only a few bucks. Some aspects may take a while to sink in, and having the printed book is truly handy and allows for more portable study. I see no other way I could have learned this with out perhaps taking college level programming course.

Well that’s my two cents for what it is worth. Thanks Jon can’t wait for the next one.

Appreciatively yours,

-J

Post Edited (jhoyoza) : 2/7/2007 1:40:54 AM GMT