Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
IDE Source control Plugin etc.. — Parallax Forums

IDE Source control Plugin etc..

bassmasterbassmaster Posts: 181
edited 2007-02-05 20:04 in Propeller 1
I am using CVS now, although if Parallax has some time, this would be a nice feature for the IDE, as I think we all agree that the prop is no longer jusst a "hobby" chip like the BS2. Its price comparable with some of the Pic's out there now and can do alot more than most. I also would like the Chip to be able to read a write protected eprom and the IDE burn one is this already possible to burn an eprom instead of the using the current·eeprom and still have the prop load it? then firmware updates would require a new eprom, and hacking of commercial prop devices would be somewhat protected especially after you break pins 30 and 31 off and or seal the qdip in a pvc blob.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-02-05 17:50
    There's been quite a lot of discussion about not having any built-in protection in the Propeller from hacking. The simplest thing would be to use a 1-Wire device with its unique serial number. You'd have to individually configure each system with the unique number from the device, do some kind of simple transformation of it to embed in your code (like shift it a few bits) so anyone who dumped the boot EEPROM would have a difficult time figuring out what you did. When you distribute updates, they'd have to be unique for each device which might be a good thing, but would be tedious to do.
    Mike
  • bassmasterbassmaster Posts: 181
    edited 2007-02-05 18:29
    great idea.. thanks.
  • QuattroRS4QuattroRS4 Posts: 916
    edited 2007-02-05 20:04
    Bassmaster - the 'hobby chip' BS2 got me out of many a sticky industrial problem ! Now Prop is king !

That said I have 'potted' various MCU,eproms & eeproms in the past- swapping pinouts etc on custom P.C.B·to protect against copying. Makes firmware updating easier.

Quattro