Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
WIRELESS forum — Parallax Forums

WIRELESS forum

WarrlokWarrlok Posts: 77
edited 2007-02-20 15:18 in BASIC Stamp
Could we have "WIRELESS"·forum

so we can keep up with different ways to do this . i keep seeing (and asking the same questions )

Thanks
······························································ ""Parallax Rules·""

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Problems are the "roads" of life,
solutions are only "onramps" to the next problem

············································· "Brad Smith"
·

Comments

• Matt BattleMatt Battle Posts: 172
    edited 2007-02-10 16:53
    I second that.
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2007-02-10 17:21
    If your not getting your answers here why would you get them in a seperate forum? There will still be the same people.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2007-02-10 19:29
    The problem with special interest forums is where does it stop? Industrial, wireless, robotics, communications? And for a generic wireless forum, what device would be used? Prop? SX? BS2? Bs1? By breaking down the forums by processor, it helps those focus on a specific platform instead of use.

Anyone is free to make a yahoo group dedicated to wireless discussions across a wide variety of processors.

Agree, this isn't the best way to share on a specific topic, but I think it's the most acceptable for all. By ensureing subject lines are specific helps a lot. Use http://search.parallax.com to find threads of interest.

-Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    StampPlot - GUI and Plotting, and XBee Wireless Adapters
    Southern Illinois University Carbondale, Electronic Systems Technologies
  • WarrlokWarrlok Posts: 77
    edited 2007-02-11 16:32
    My problem is the answers and questions keep getting pushed off the board·...··so when i change my mind i cant go back and check the other possibilities,,,and since most of the ic communicate serial/usb there should,nt be to much a problem ,,,but we might could have a motor control forum and a servo forum and a sensor forum ,,,and when somebody post a really good "How To" mabe we could link it to a tutorial forum ,,,the main problem i keep seeing is the same qeastions and different answers and before we can come·upwith a good answer it
    gets pushed off the board !!!
    ···································· ·PS have u looked at Parralax forums lately u cant find anything!!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

·
  • PARPAR Posts: 285
    edited 2007-02-11 17:43
    Warrlok said...
    My problem is the answers and questions keep getting pushed off the board·...··so when i change my mind i cant go back and check the other possibilities,,,
    ...·and before we can come·upwith a good answer it
    gets pushed off the board !!!
    ···································· ·PS have u looked at Parralax forums lately u cant find anything!!

See the attached image of what your forum screen probably looks like in its upper right corner. Notice that you can specify how many postings per web page are available to scroll through. And, notice that there are also multiple pages of postings from which you can select (go to).

The postings do not get "pushed off the board"; at worst, they get lower and lower on your web page and/or take up residence on a second or subsequent page.

To find anything, use the Google-based advanced SEARCH function.

PAR
    390 x 275 - 34K
  • John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2007-02-11 17:49
    First, I have almost always found at least SOME threads by using the Google version of the Parallax search. I have some discussion about why not to add more forums, and some helpful (I hope) advice further down.

More significantly, considder the following: I am currently working a lot with Servos. The same servo question keep coming up. Maybe we should have a separate forum on Servos.

The subject of ROVs is getting more common, and those posts keep getting in the way of all the other "more normal" posts on other robitic issues. Let's start an ROV forum.

How to do various math functions seems to keep coming up, and there are lots of threads that are hard to keep track of because they "drop off the board". Let's start a math forum too.

Pretty soon, all the forums will "start dropping off the board".

There is a fine line between segragation of topics, and "splintering" discussions. Speaking from experiences I've had at other forum sets, "splintering" is generally not a good thing, unless, like the recently added Hydra forum, there is enough "critical mass" to keep the forum "self sustaning".

The problems with a forum like "wireless", or any of those I mentioned above, is that there not enough people with a "dedicated" interest in them, and more significantly, the people with the answers are probably not going to be paying much attention to them. The end result is something along the lines of this:

* You post a question to the wireless forum.
    * You get lots of "me too" answers, stating, I'd like to do that too, but don't know how.
    * Someone else comes along, and sees no (or few) meaningful responses, and moves on.
    * Someone else doesn't realize there is a "separate" forum for "Wireless", and posts a question to the "Sandbox" or chip specific forum. They get some meaningful answers, because they are "broadcasting" to a wider audiance.
    * You and the hoards of people watching the wireless forum don't see this, becuase it's in the wrong place, and as a result miss the next best thing since canned beer.
    * As a result of your missing this, the world doesn't get to use your invention, and the World Peace that would have resulted from it.

The conclusion is that in the interests of nothing less than World Peace, there is likely not be a separate "Wireless" forum.

I hope you appreacite my heart felt humor, and see the underlying reasoning against "splintering" groups.

Having said all that:

Here is a search for wireless that returns lots of hits:

Google Parallax Search Link

If you add 802.11 into the search box, you'd limit it to stuff dealing with WiFi, or use ZigBee, etc. as you wish.

Note that when you click on the link, the search box will fill in with the search criteria. You'll notice one of the search criteria is "site:forums.parallax.com". This will limit the search to just the forums. If you go to the "advanced search" page, features like this are easier to work with.

There are also ways to limit what forum the search is in, delaing with the "f=xx" clause in the urls for the actual discussion pages.

The other thing I'd suggest that can help you keep track of threads that "fall off the board" is to use your "book marks" or "favorites" feature of your browser. You can use the "organize" option to create folders and sub folders. Make a folder called "Wirelss". Put bookmarks in that folder not only for threads in the forum, but also for any other web sites where you find wireless information or products.

Make other folders for other topics.

I'll even add a shortcut/bookmark for a "hot topic" I'm watching for a while so I can jump "right to it". When the thread wraps up, or my interest wans, I just delete the bookmark, or move it to a less obtrusive place. Note that you can also change the name of the bookmark to something more meaningful to you that the standard page title.

Also remember that in most browsers, pressing <ctrl>+<D> will add a bookmark to your "favorites".

I hope all this helps.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.
    Click here to see my Nomad Build Log
  • WarrlokWarrlok Posts: 77
    edited 2007-02-20 15:18
    Hi John ,,,
    I see ur point expecally about the "criticalmass" that makes alot of sense,,,if we,d all write better subject lines search would work better ,, the real shame is when one of u guys writes a really good explaination /tutorial and the next week somebody ask the same qeastion and gets the old "its too hard do somthing else " answer ,,,

how about a FAQ and mabe a user "Hall Of Fame " for those Great answers that u guys Grace us with !!!
    so we can move foward with newer challanges

PS thanks for ur time

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

·